My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Professional amateur!
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has any one put one on? how wide and long are the long box toppers? (or truck caps)

i've seen a couple toppers for free on craigslist and i'm thinking this could be a quick and easy way to cover the trailer. i could fab up some hinges on the front rail of the trailer with a big pin i could pull out and something similar in the back to secure it down. then when i need to unload a load of leaves, i could pull the rear pins and open it up like a tonneau cover. (i'd probably need some spring loaded hinges or gas charged shocks to help lift it.)

its a 5'x8' trailer, outside the rails its 64"x99", i think i could go as far as 68" wide, i would put either 2x4s or 2x6s around on top of the rails to make up for the extra width.

this would only be used for loads that need to be covered with a tarp, like leaves or trash.

·
Professional amateur!
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i searched for over an hour trying to figure out how wide the toppers are on different trucks. i think i found two sites that list the width of some of their toppers. but from what i've seen, full size toppers are at least 6' wide and mini trucks are about 5'. i think dodge dakotas had a little bit wider bed then ranger's or s10's so i'll have to see if i can find a topper for a dakota long box. although i couldn't find how long the long bed toppers are for dakotas.

also couldn't find a single site that listed the weight of an aluminum topper. i found one site that listed the weight for their fiberglass toppers but no aluminums.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,543 Posts
I'd guess an aluminum cap for a full sized truck like one I have weighs about 150 lbs,maybe more..my fleetside chevy cap measures about 79" wide and 8'3" long..other trucks with different beds will of course differ..you need to find one close to your trailers width,maybe one thats close can be made to fit by using a 2x6 or wider plank to bridge the gap between the bed and cap sides like I do when I want to put the cap I have for a fleetside on my stepside truck's bed,which is about a foot narrower..

·
Registered
690 Posts
a dakota long bed will be 7'

·
Old Guy With Old Toys
1,178 Posts
Bed size will vary among truck brands and vary among the same truck brand in series and years of the vehicle. Like mentioned above, get close and frame to fit.

·
Premium Member
2,203 Posts
Look closely at the front window, not all of them will handle the wind. They are usuallly blocked by the cab of the truck and are not subject to that kind of force. Good luck Ed

·
Professional amateur!
1,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thats a good point. i'll have to cut a piece of plywood to replace the front window.

i emailed a guy on craigs that tried doing the same thing i want to do. the topper was too big for his trailer. i'm guessing he has a 5x8 too but he hasn't replied yet.

i think i'm going to end up cutting one down the middle and riveting it back together at the right width. i wonder if i can rig up my trailers winch to lift the topper up? i guess it depends on the strength of the topper itself and any reinforcing i can do.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts