My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I been having some problems with my deck belt where it likes to pop the belt the last time it was only 10 mins then pop. I noticed it has a sealed bearing setup. so could they have gone bad? THe belt was super hot to the touch and I can smell it. Any ideas . I'm about to take it to a service center and see what they can do? any information or tips would be great
thanks in advance

·
Senior Tinkerer
1,577 Posts
With the belt off, turn each of the spindles to see if they turn freely, do not have any significant play in the bearings, and the pulleys are tight.
Also check the idler pulleys. With the belt back on, look to see if the routing seems to be fairly straight.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I been looking at it all the pullys seems to be good but one it has a little bit of left and right play in it. I will just change it. so as I find a good source of parts besides troy blit online. any clue where else they might have them?:thanku:

·
Senior Tinkerer
1,577 Posts
I been looking at it all the pullys seems to be good but one it has a little bit of left and right play in it. I will just change it. so as I find a good source of parts besides troy blit online. any clue where else they might have them?:thanku:
Is it the spindle shaft that has "a little bit" of play in it? I'm not sure what a "little bit" is, but if the bearing is bad, you may be able to just replace one or both of them. Maybe they just need grease?
The whole spindle assembly is a little pricey. If yours takes the 618-024 assembly, there are several choices on eBay.
You can probably buy the bearings locally. You would need to get your old one out and get the numbers off it.
Might be a good time to look at the other spindle, too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
THanks for the information the lip on the pulley was bent up that was causing the belt to ride high and get cut.

·
Senior Tinkerer
1,577 Posts
THanks for the information the lip on the pulley was bent up that was causing the belt to ride high and get cut.
Glad you found the problem. :fing32:

Do those spindle assemblys have zerk fittings on them so you can get some grease in?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No I'm not that lucky I ended up fixign the problem with the belt. then I messed up the spindle . I hit a log in the high grass. it striped the star holder. I did not think it was going to be a high price part so instead of going threw ebay I went to a local dealer online it was $67 and the dealer it cost me $108. lesson learned. I just got finshed cutting the back lot it's been almost 2 months since I got to get to it. it works like a charm. I don't know if it's a waste or not I've been buying the xtream mulching blades for mine. 1 set lasted 2 years until I hit that log the other day. I noticed I get a little mohawk in the grass I wondering if that could be because of the taller grass?

·
Senior Tinkerer
1,577 Posts
No I'm not that lucky I ended up fixign the problem with the belt. then I messed up the spindle . I hit a log in the high grass. it striped the star holder. I did not think it was going to be a high price part so instead of going threw ebay I went to a local dealer online it was $67 and the dealer it cost me $108. lesson learned. I just got finshed cutting the back lot it's been almost 2 months since I got to get to it. it works like a charm. I don't know if it's a waste or not I've been buying the xtream mulching blades for mine. 1 set lasted 2 years until I hit that log the other day. I noticed I get a little mohawk in the grass I wondering if that could be because of the taller grass?
Stripping the star is a common problem. I have been helping a friend find spindles for his Bronco which is why I knew something about them. For example, we have not been able to find replacement shafts for the 618-0624 anywhere. Do not know why. We are currently trying to find out if another spindle p/n, 618-0659, will substitute. That one is cheaper and does have a replacement shaft available. BTW, most of the new spindles we have seen have zerks. (Not that zerks on spindles are any guarantee of longer life!)

If your blades are sharp, if they are the right length, and if you were running at full throttle, most likely the problem was just that the grass was too high. Sometimes cutting very high grass requires a second pass even with some of the best machines.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I noticed when I went to the troy bilt site and looked up the parts numbers they changed them with a new prefix like 918 instead of a 628. I wanted to ask I see that you have 2 Simplicity models are they a good brand name I've never heard of them. We are looking in to a ztr mower and the dealer had them there. I doubt I will buy a another TB model even though the problems were caused by me not paying attion.

·
Senior Tinkerer
1,577 Posts
I noticed when I went to the troy bilt site and looked up the parts numbers they changed them with a new prefix like 918 instead of a 628. I wanted to ask I see that you have 2 Simplicity models are they a good brand name I've never heard of them. We are looking in to a ztr mower and the dealer had them there. I doubt I will buy a another TB model even though the problems were caused by me not paying attion.
Yes, the original 618-0624 p/n was changed to 918-0624; I do not know what the difference is. One eBay site advertises the 918-0659 ($36.99) as being a substitute p/n and there is a replacement shaft available ($5.49) for that one.

I can't speak for all Simplicities, but the Sunstar is an exceptionally good machine for medium to large lawns and ground engaging duties, as well. My brother had a Simplicity 7119H and that was a great tractor with many of the same capabilities. Those are the only ones I have actual hands-on experience with. There is a lot of information here in the Simplicity forum about other models.

I have never owned or driven a ZTR mower. They are not a good fit for me because I need to deal with steep hills and need to pull a rototiller, cart, etc.

So, what you get has to meet your needs. Once you have those defined, you will be able to find the right fit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts