My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Loving Life :-)
4,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I just got a used, somewhat free LTX13! Well, I was gonna just yank the motor ( briggs 13hp I/C) out of it as a donor for something else, but it looked a bit too nice to chop it up.

My friend who gave it to me said the transaxle went out entirely, as it no longer had forward nor reverse , and it was having shifting problems prior to that...

Well, after getting under the unit, I found the drive belt for the Peerless MST-205-525A transaxle was off, just hanging onto the engine output shaft.Zoikes!

I put it back on, despite its somewhat tattered appearance , and it now goes forward , and back too! I just had to call him and let him know so he could slap himself in the forehead.:fing20: heheheh

He responded that he never checked it, and we got a good chucle out of it, and he does not want it back either, so good for me!

Thing is, on the speed selector arm, you have to kinda work it around a bit at whatever speed selected , lets say 2nd gear, and it does not always catch until you jiggle the arm out and back a little bit. Then , it sometimes slips out of gear ( not out of position on the arm, just out of gear)

Is there an adjustment I am missing????

Does the fact that the transaxle appears to be a bit low on oil have anything to do with it? ( I would think not, but been wrong before:fing20:) Its SAE 90, yes?

I am not really familiar with this setup, as my other units are not like this nice little machine.

Any thoughts? Thanks for any input.

M

·
Registered
53 Posts
Great story.
Keep this guy as a friend, perhaps he tosses out cars when they run out of gas or gives away houses when a light bulb blows out. Would love to spend a day digging through his garage.

All joking aside I would replace the said belt, the speed adjuster cable and lever...( I suspect the cable )...If I remember correctly, there is also a spring which should be replaced. Shouldn't cost much more than 50 or 60 bucks bucks total.
I doubt the transaxle has anything to do with it. Then again, I am far from an expert, so hopefully more knowledgeable members will chime in.
Google your make and model number and you should be able to download the manual.

Great find, good luck. Sounds like you're on the road to a good New to you machine.:trink39:

·
Loving Life :-)
4,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Fundy,

Yeah, he is a good friend , and I wish I had his garage toys! But they are full of gas, so I dont get them for a while.lol

I will look into the cable and spring- thanks:trink39:
Funny thing about this whole deal is that I got the machine from him,in order for put the motor to be put into my other friends machine, for HIS son. :thThumbsU

1 - 3 of 3 Posts