My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
You got that right NB. He wants $500 for the pair or $250 a piece. Wish the weather would cooperate my tomato’s look spindly. I will more than likely do an amateur restoration on this one. Engine runs good doesn’t smoke from what little time I had it running. Looking on this site for decals. The web site that reproduced them looks to be no more. Sure someone will come along and point me in the right direction so I can order some.
L/M go to www.rggraphix.com for Troy Bilt Decals.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
The governor rod has to be hooked to the carb in the right hole! --I always try to start them at about half throttle if possible, --they seam to start easier that way.
Book should show which hole it needs to be in for rated rpm's.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Well I found one for $250. It runs good has a Briggs ohv cast liner 5 hp. I used it to till up my garden. Going to need some tines and a reverse disc the rubber one. Missing the front bumper. Didn’t see any leaks or strange noises trans works good. It has a little lever on the left hand side to engage the tines. I put it in gear first wheels turning then turn on the tines. Is that the right way I’m still learning these old tillers. Now I need to find out the year so I can order some parts. The tires look good and will be awhile before they wheel get replacement. Everything is freed up all levers work good.
4513F375-7A5D-4709-96F8-F8BEB89EA3F2.jpeg
036AE9CA-C846-44E8-82A4-1A82D9F42889.jpeg
4E953531-1193-4A9C-8024-9FF821654C44.jpeg

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
Well I found one for $250. It runs good has a Briggs ohv cast liner 5 hp. I used it to till up my garden. Going to need some tines and a reverse disc the rubber one. Missing the front bumper. Didn’t see any leaks or strange noises trans works good. It has a little lever on the left hand side to engage the tines. I put it in gear first wheels turning then turn on the tines. Is that the right way I’m still learning these old tillers. Now I need to find out the year so I can order some parts. The tires look good and will be awhile before they wheel get replacement. Everything is freed up all levers work good. View attachment 2455222 View attachment 2455223 View attachment 2455224
According to the Serial Number Chart, it was made between December 1983 and January 1984.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hey L/M,
Just above your post, you'll see a ton of really helpful info. Go to the one DJ posted, "Literature and Manuals". Click on the link at the bottom of his post, and you'll see a whole lotta stuff. He did a great job compiling and posting all that. Really nice to have in one spot. Hope it helps you.

Tom

·
Joe
1,209 Posts
The old B &S and Kohler 8's are good motors ---- worth a rebuild then they will last another 50 years! ---the problem with these new motors is that they are not designed to be fixed when they break and they break often! ----with no new parts avail. to fix them---well go get another new motor! lol!
Yep those engines were and still are wonderful engines. However, I don't believe Honda fit in the category of throwaway, problematic engines. JMHO.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I ran up on another Troy built serial # 483325. I guess that makes it early 80s. I fiddle with the engine got it running some what. Forward reverse tines work good no strange noises. But the Briggs 8 hp engine wants to run erratic. Anyways after a few beers and a few cuss words. I ordered a Honda gx200 a new set of tines with hardware. I’ll put the Briggs up for future project. Seems like a simple swap. Seen a few YouTube videos with the older troys with Honda engines. Everything will be here this Thursday. I ordered the pulley bolt and will go to my local Lowe’s and get the mounting bolts. Anything else you think I will need besides oil and gas. I know I will no longer have reverse. But that’s no big deal.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I ran up on another Troy built serial # 483325. I guess that makes it early 80s. I fiddle with the engine got it running some what. Forward reverse tines work good no strange noises. But the Briggs 8 hp engine wants to run erratic. Anyways after a few beers and a few cuss words. I ordered a Honda gx200 a new set of tines with hardware. I’ll put the Briggs up for future project. Seems like a simple swap. Seen a few YouTube videos with the older troys with Honda engines. Everything will be here this Thursday. I ordered the pulley bolt and will go to my local Lowe’s and get the mounting bolts. Anything else you think I will need besides oil and gas. I know I will no longer have reverse. But that’s no big deal.
03303F50-28CB-4BDB-B672-27774AD98F45.jpeg
DF98CCA7-C4B3-4945-8942-98206BBB4864.jpeg

·
Registered
117 Posts
Hey L/M,
Yeah, according to the Serial # List, it looks like your latest find, was made between July and August of 1980. Ha-Ha. I beat you by a couple months. I'm just finishing a April-May 1980. I hope to have pictures up in the next couple days. Cant wait to see your's with that nice Honda on board.
Best,
Tom

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Thanks Tom. I hope to have it going by this wk end. Due to working long hrs and working doing honey due things time is a factor lol. The other one I bought a few days ago is a hoss. People that have them the older units don’t want to get rid of them. Got the garden up. I still have some things to plant.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Now you all don’t make fun of my crooked rows ha. When it starts to digging it’s hard to keep a straight line. I got two hillers plows in on the deal. They work great.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thanks Tom. I hope to have it going by this wk end. Due to working long hrs and working doing honey due things time is a factor lol. The other one I bought a few days ago is a hoss. People that have them the older units don’t want to get rid of them. Got the garden up. I still have some things to plant.
Wow! You're weeks (maybe a month) ahead of us on weather. I see in your pictures you're all leafed out. Our buds are just starting to open, up here, and it's 28 degrees as I write this at 5:58 AM. We're a good 3 weeks or more before it'll be warm enough to plant. Your garden looks great. Those old Horse tillers are amazing.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
It’s already in the mid 80s here. Spring came early this year. This time around it was cold and wet. Got a late start this year. I have a half acre it’s going to be planted with various types of watermelons and cantaloupes. I’m glad I Joined this forum. It’s a wealth of info and good folks. You all stay safe out there.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Looks great the old Horse did a good job. A little chilly here this morning 52 should be in the 60s this time of year.I hope my tomatoes plants can make it through this cold blast of air.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
They will be fine if temps stay around 50 night time and 60s during the day. Once the weather breaks throw some triple 13 on them. We grow a lot of corn around here and they use chicken manure pellets. Most of the time they Waste some while filling the planes. I load the back of the Polaris up and bring it to my garden. Hey it’s free and man does it grow some veggies. Hope you have a good garden season Bama.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts