My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been looking for an older style Troy built horse. Well I found two that are around mid 80s model. Will be getting pictures in a few days from him. He said both look good for their age. Tires look good both have kholer magnum 8hp engines. He wants $500 for both of them. Both are complete. I figure I can get both running without to much trouble. Most I see would be the carburetor needs cleaning and the gas tank would need to be cleaned. Soon as he sends some pics I’ll post them. The newer Troy Bilts look to flimsy. Not made like the old ones.

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
Here is a recent thread about a Troy Bilt Horse,

CCMoe

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks that is good to know about the tanks. Yup I’m Just waiting on him to send me some pictures. If this deal falls through.I’m Just going to bite the bullet. And order a Troy built pro line series with a Honda engines. Ive been looking at a few over the past few wks and most were Junk. You wouldn’t believe how much they wanted for them. Garden season is upon us and I’m getting anxious to get going. Any of you all had any experience with the newer Troys. I know they are not as good as the older ones. But I believe they are better than what the box stores offer. I want to stay under $1500.

·
Joe
1,209 Posts
Thanks that is good to know about the tanks. Yup I’m Just waiting on him to send me some pictures. If this deal falls through.I’m Just going to bite the bullet. And order a Troy built pro line series with a Honda engines. Ive been looking at a few over the past few wks and most were Junk. You wouldn’t believe how much they wanted for them. Garden season is upon us and I’m getting anxious to get going. Any of you all had any experience with the newer Troys. I know they are not as good as the older ones. But I believe they are better than what the box stores offer. I want to stay under $1500.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Been waiting on some pics from this other fellow. He never sent any so I kept looking. I finally got a hit from someone local from. In fact 10 miles from my house. So I went to check it out. It’s been in storage for about 6 years. Guy put a Chinese carb on it from eBay $16.00. Tires look ok has a few cracks tubeless tires. Tines look good no oil leaks any where from what I could see. Gas tank isn’t rusted out. Pulled the plug it had some carbon on it but not from oil burning. It has the Briggs 8 HP cast iron liner. I tried to get it to run it would but the carburetor was Junk. It didn't smoke or knock sounded strong. It was made by garden way. It’s going to need a carb and throttle cable. Might be able to use the old one if I free it up. No slack in the drive train. Comes with two hillers that are in real good shape. It also has the electric stater on it. He wants $250.00 for it. What do you all think. The levers were a bit stiff. But a little wd40 worked them free. It’s all cast iron and well built and not flimsy.
5D487547-FCB2-4C75-A0BB-2FF8D9676AB3.jpeg
5DB50EA4-7C90-4009-91EB-67C65182A094.jpeg

·
Registered
204 Posts
I would go for it. A lot of spare parts for the engine and will last a another 50 years. Even if you need a engine those predators are working out fine and affordable.

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
You can always pick up a parts tiller and I think a Honda will work also.

How many tillers have you seen sitting at the edge of a garden with a galvanized bucket/tub covering the engine.

CCMoe

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’ve seen lots of old tillers sitting at the edge of a garden with a bucket over them. But not here lately. People don’t raise gardens like they use to. While I was rambling along making this post last night. He had another one also. How the heck did I forget to mention that one. It has a replacement engine on it. A Briggs 5 hp and it runs. He said something about it not wanting to move. Could be something simple. Or would make a good parts machine. I’m going back this evening and get some more pics and tinker with it. The guy is a Vietnam vet and hurt his back recently so he can’t do to much to help. I’ll keep you all updated.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You got that right NB. He wants $500 for the pair or $250 a piece. Wish the weather would cooperate my tomato’s look spindly. I will more than likely do an amateur restoration on this one. Engine runs good doesn’t smoke from what little time I had it running. Looking on this site for decals. The web site that reproduced them looks to be no more. Sure someone will come along and point me in the right direction so I can order some.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I am thinking $200 would be better on the prices for unknown units. The first thing you need to know is are these 4- speed or the old 2 - speed. 4- speed worth more. ---next how bad are the tines worn/bent/broke/loose/etc. Next thing you will have to replace the axle and tine shaft seals!---ask me how I know!--lol!---just got stuck with 2 old ones,been sitting,--leak like a sieve! As for the motors---Before you even think about stickin a morph one on it---you will be money ahead to rebuild the original one that is on it and fits! Them S'POSED ta fit dudes don't! Once again been there done that too---Out of 3 new motors I only got one to SORTA fit and its too light ---25 pounds lighter than the old cast iron block originals-- Bolt holes in the new ones are the wrong size and you cant use the bumper after you put one on because the new engines hang off to one side blocking the use of the bumper.
This is just a few things you can run into on these old ones. ---Around $1,800 or so gets you a brand new one that is pto , bumper, and the whole nine yards.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sonny I don’t know much about them. I know it’s got low and high reverse and the lever for the tines. The tines look good hardly any wear. No slack in the shafts trans and the rear. Didn’t see any oil leaks any where. Looks like it will clean up pretty good. I’ll get some more pics later on today. Working on my second cup of coffee trying to get motivated lol. I plan on staying here and I just didn’t come here for tips and then leave and never to be seen again. I joined because I love anything mechanical. I know you all will point me in the right direction. If nothing else I’ll Just go buy a new pro line series with the Honda engine and be done with it. But I like to tinker with stuff.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I have only had one day to use my horse this spring its been so much rain. I have some tomato plant to get out also

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I got the guy down on price. The tiller looks good decent tires. I was trying to find the specs on the Briggs 8 hp engine. Such as the crank diameter and length. Reading the forums and they say this Honda engine will bolt right up minus getting different mounting bolts. What do you all think.
896435A4-E549-4E2B-A968-89864E7F4220.png

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
The old B &S and Kohler 8's are good motors ---- worth a rebuild then they will last another 50 years! ---the problem with these new motors is that they are not designed to be fixed when they break and they break often! ----with no new parts avail. to fix them---well go get another new motor! lol!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I had a random thought about getting a new motor. This one doesn’t smoke or knock when cranked. I really couldn’t keep it running long enough. It has a new carb on it. I went and looked at it yesterday. There is a little lever that hooks inside the engine. From there it hooks on the linkage down by the carb. I assume that would be the governor correct. Ever time I start it it’s wide open. And I noticed it’s not in the correct slot it’s just laying to the side. Hopefully I’m off this wk end so I can piddle with it. Might save myself a few hundred dollars if I can get it straightened out. An older gentleman installed the carb so he missed connecting the linkage correctly.

·
Premium Member
1,164 Posts
Here's what I can say for Honda's, we got a new mortar mixer at work that came with a Honda on it, I think Essig was the brand of mixer. The brick mason said "Oh great", I ask why he said that. He said these Honda's never quit, I'll never get a break!

I've heard nothing but good about them.

CCMoe

1 - 20 of 63 Posts