My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Troy-Built Horse "BIG RED". Last year the rear tine shaft broke in half and I had to replace it, this required taking the differential apart and putting it back together with new seals. It started to leak almost right away and I assumed it was the seals, this year when I went to replace them I discovered it was the cover for the differential, all the bolts loosened up and the fluid was leaking right out of the bolt holes. I tightened them with red lock tight and it loosened up again right away. So yesterday I took it apart again, replaced with new lock washers, some sort of high strength lock tight gel the NAPA guy recommended, and siliconed around the holes so the head of the bolt would be surrounded in it. This afternoon I checked on it and after using it once it still has a slow drip which I am sure will get worse. Originally the lock tight that was there was thick like caulking and orange in color, I talked with the local dealer and they just told be to use red lock tight, I tried to explain what was there and they had nothing else to say. This is starting to get old and am sick of taking the whole thing apart once a week. HELP!

·
Member #495
3,827 Posts
When I replaced my rear tine seals and bearings I replaced the wax paper seals the the cover goes on. I also replaced the small bolt plastic washers and didn't have an issue. But I also took the cover and sanded the one side because it was pitted with rust. That will allow it to leak as well. I don't know how well all that goop will work, they used gaskets instead.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought there were rubber lined washers when I first took it apart, but they turned out to be lock washers with some sealant around them. I might have to go back to the dealer and check out the breakdown of parts. I should have replaced the paper seal, but it is actually leaking out of the bolt holes, not where the paper seal it and the bolts have been getting loose enough to take the out by hand, some where halfway unscrewed.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,567 Posts
I've used Chevy small block OEM valve stem seals as rubber washers on other things with 5/16" bolts that had "leaky bolt syndrome" with success..(not on a tiller,a differential cover--also used Permatex RTV on the cover,I had "High Temp Orange" on hand,so I used it--that may be what was on your tiller??).

·
JD318
990 Posts
When you take the covers off, you have to replace the bolts with new ones.
I was just looking at the parts diagram last week, 'cause I needed new tine shaft seals, and the diagram says that right on it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts