My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my way home and found an older model troy bilt tiller in really nice shape
tines are almost like new and it runs like a top :trink39: It has the 5 hp B&S engine and i want to change the oil in it and was just wondering what weight oil to use in it.? :thanku:

·
Administrator
21,250 Posts
Don't think you could be wrong using a 30wt. You could get the numbers off the engine and go to the B&S website and get an owners manual. That'll help you with a lot of info on the engine.

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fresh gas ..clean oil and air filter fired right up :trink39:
Ran and worked good for about 15 minutes or so then quit :crybaby: lots of fire on the plug ?

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
I ran 30 wt in my 7 HP B&S, also in the 8 HP Kohler i have now. As mla mentioned, check the gas cap, fuel filter, air filter before going into the carb. It's possible it could have set with Ethanol(i hate the stuff) gas in it, i won't fill a tank up with the stuff w/o putting a fuel treatment in it.

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok I will check a few things out tonight (already did the air filter) and changed the oil using 30wt. To be honest I didn't see a fuel filter anywhere?
I am unsure of the year but to look on the website from the pictures and manual it is between a 1976 and 82, it has the metal gas tank below the carb and has two speeds available through the pulleys.

·
Joe
1,222 Posts
"lots of fire on the plug"
OK. Lots of fire on the plug.....Any gasoline on the plug? My bet is your carb has something in it. Is the carb on tight? Like Mla20fus says, loosen the cap and see what happens.
Keep us posted
Joe

·
Old Stonebreaker
3,398 Posts
Since the tank is below the carb, the fuel pump diaphragm, which is part of the carb and easy to change, is more likely rotten and has small pinholes in it.
Mike

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i checked it all out, seems to take a bit more cranking to get it going than I like but it starts and runs good with no smoke...about 20 minutes and it quit:banghead3. I loosen the gas cap and left it sit for a minute or so and it started up again (8 or 9 pulls)but splashes a little gas around .
I took the shroud off just to make sure no mice had deciced to make a new home in there (no they did not, thats good)
The gas cap is black and doesn't match the rest (red) so I think maybe a replacement one but looks as old as the tiller.:trink39:
I will say that the 30 minutes or so that I have used it....it is way better and easier to use than the other new rear tine one..:fing32:
Would a wrong plug in it make things bad?
Was it sitting on the side of the road ....well yes it was and cheap

1 - 11 of 11 Posts