My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have compiled a list of Troy-Bilt tiller serial numbers and thier respective years of manufacture. This list includes data for the Horse I, II, III, and Operator Presence Control (O.P.C., Horse IV) up through the end of 1992.

It also contains data for the Pony tillers from 1976 though the middle of 1983 and the Junior tiller from the middle of 1981 through the middle of 1983.

This list was compiled from several sources and I cannot verify nor attest to the accuracy.

While I am sure that this list is helpful, it is not complete. If anyone has more information or finds errors, let me know. We will consider this list to be a work in progress.

Attachments

·
22,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, but I don't have that information. I've been looking for it for a while now to add it, but so far, no joy.

·
Registered
19 Posts
i just bought a pto horse with 7hp briggs & am in the process of reworking transmission. serial # 00901010. didn't see this # listed. thanks.:dunno: s8

·
22,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was built in February of 1989. The number beside the month is the starting serial number built that month.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi I have a Troy Bilt Horse that I bought a few years ago and according to the serial number (848062) Its a March April 1987.. All the bolts on the shield covering the tines are not the correct bolts which tells me someone in the past has either changed the bolts maybe they fell out or someone has changed the cover. The dates on the instructions/stickers on the shield are 1984. Question is do you all think that this is in line with a 1987 tiller to have 1984 stickers on it? I have seen other products have dates on the stickers a year before the date of the actual product but 3 years seems like a bit of a stretch to me...idk any thoughts would be helpful as im going to restore this someday and if I have to buy or make new decals I minus well get the correct ones true to the year of the tiller. Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have just purchased a Troy Bilt Horse tiller, with the serial number 475437, but was unable to find this number in the list. I was hoping to know what year it was made, and also which gear/transmission oil it requires. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi I acquired a troy Bilt HH60 105080E Serial # 2193D. How do I get a manual for this unit and what kind of info can you on this info. Here are some pictures.

20130807_061903.jpg

20130807_061916.jpg

20130807_101435.jpg

20130807_101447.jpg

:wwp:

·
Registered
139 Posts
Hello,
I just pulled one of these out of a barn in RI, where can I locate the serial number? It has a Tecumseh I would think HH60 engine on it. Thank you

·
22,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi I acquired a troy Bilt HH60 105080E Serial # 2193D. How do I get a manual for this unit and what kind of info can you on this info. Here are some pictures.

:wwp:

Hello,
I just pulled one of these out of a barn in RI, where can I locate the serial number? It has a Tecumseh I would think HH60 engine on it. Thank you
Guys, I'm very sorry that I missed your posts earlier. Life gets crazy at times. :hide:

To locate the serial number on the tillers themselves to determine the age of the unit, look for the tab on the side of the transmission, near the top, behine the right wheel from the right hand of the operator's position.

TB Serial Number Location.jpg
(Click to Enlarge)

Once you find the number, look in the list at the top of the thread to determine what year and what model it is, e.g. Horse I, Horse II, etc.

Once the model is determined, we have the manuals available for download here:

http://www.mytractorforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=291

Hope this helps guys.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Looking for help in identifying this old Troy...
Price was right.... free. The guy who owned it is long gone and his daughter gave it to me, having no knowledge at all. Runs, tills, covered in caked on oil sludge & MTD has no clue what it is. I really need a repair manual or parts book. No surviving stickers except enough of one with the original Troy, NY phone number. Engine looks newer, Tecumseh 5HP. Starts & runs good. 3 of the 4 bolts holding it on were loose and one nut had fallen off. Strange, the oil looks new. Tills up a storm and light enough for me to lift into raised beds. Will come in handy.
Found this on the round transmission shaft: M above what looks like 319290. Second digit is out of line & may not be a one. Wheels are 5.5" dia, tires solid rubber 9" OD. Wheels rusted to the axle shaft & haven't been able to break them loose YET. Tine cover 15" wide, no belt cover, no reverse, even though the forward / reverse rod is in place & there is a reverse idler pulley. No front guard on engine. Maybe I could figure out how to post a picture, but do you have any ideas from this description?

I used to own a Pony many, many years ago & loved it. Have not gardened for years and now seriously getting back into it. Financially challenged, so free is good....

Bob

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for making this thread. I was told the tiller I recently purchased was bought in 1973, but my serial #96194 shows it was made between april and may of 1974. It is really good to know the date of manufacture when acquiring parts for these beasts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
HI I have a 1979 Horse 2 & I rebuilt the transmission Aug. 2014 and it works great but I have a oil leak around the neutral plunger and it only leaks while I am tilling the garden. I know the oil level is correct. The manual shows no "o ring" or seal at the plunger. Does the plunger act as a vent? And where can I fine hood decals for the tiller? Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
I recently purchased an older Troy-Bilt tiller. I have located the serial number; 611022. Just above the serial # on the base of the handle bar is Garden Way, TH-1019, 82/1. It has a Briggs and Stratton 8HP electric start engine.
I would like to find out the exact year and type of Horse I have so I can get manuals for it. Any help would be appreciated.

·
2k Sarcastic Post CLUB
2,233 Posts
I recently purchased an older Troy-Bilt tiller. I have located the serial number; 611022. Just above the serial # on the base of the handle bar is Garden Way, TH-1019, 82/1. It has a Briggs and Stratton 8HP electric start engine.
I would like to find out the exact year and type of Horse I have so I can get manuals for it. Any help would be appreciated.

April/May 1982 Horse II would be my guess.

Did you see the PDF file that DJ uploaded...........its a great tool.....

1 - 20 of 92 Posts