My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I figured out why my Troy Bilt Super Bronco was spraying oil: the engine block is cracked. It's a 4 year old machine that I bought used and the previous owner beat the tar out of it.

So now what? New machine or Repair?

I was prepared to buy a new Deere today but the reviews at Home Depot and Lowes scared me off. The LA105 has transmission problems and complaints seem to be consistent in that regard.

This Troy-Bilt doesn't cut evenly and I've never been happy with it. I'd replace it right now with a new mower that I had confidence in. But since I can't find that mower, I might just have to throw money into the Troy-Bilt.

Any advice?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Facing the engine from the front, left starting at the gasket and running down about 1 1/2 inches. Too late for a pic but I'll try to post one tomorrow.

The engine had broken a nearby bolt in two places. I replaced that (had to drill out the last 1/4" - but evidently it was a waste of time.

·
Tractor Nut
550 Posts
Here's some possibly cheap options...

Could you try JB Weld? Clean the area good and give it a try, it's cheap. You won't be out much if it doesn't work.

Find a parts machine off Craiglist and transplant the engine. In my area, if I look around for a week or two, I can usually find something decent with a good running engine and broken rear end for $100.

Post some pics of the crack if you can!

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
I would try to JB weld it until you found another motor!IMO

·
20,000 +posts!
20,959 Posts
I'd try J-B Waterweld putty--sand the paint off and clean it with carb or brake cleaner and smoosh the putty over the cracked area..it's been holding the oil in my plow trucks rotted oil pan for nearly 3 years with no leaks!..(not where the putty is anyway--some new rust holes are weeping,but the putty appears as good as the day I applied it!)..

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Do you have to apply the weld inside the cylinder - or can the repair be done without taking the engine apart?

·
Jersey Mechanic
1,015 Posts
Go to Napa and buy their "aluminum and stainless repair kit" Clean the area really well with carb. cleaner and sand with the provided paper, mix the packet and apply a thick layer, I have repaired aluminum with it and NEVER had a problem. It will cost you $10.

Dan

·
Registered
962 Posts
V---it out a little if ya can. Gives the putty more thickness and a better sticking surface

1 - 12 of 12 Posts