My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had major electric issues fixed earlier this year. I also replaced an ignition switch. I used it over the weekend and work fine. Went to re-start it to put it away, and nothing.Turn the key and nothing. No click. No amps. Not even a small read out. Tried jumping, nothing. Checked the 20 amp fuse by solenoid, fine. Has my ignition switch gone out again? Is this common ? Thanks

·
Registered
292 Posts
start simple first make sure you have a good clean connection at the battery next a simple volt meter will go a long way in diagnosing these sort of problems . start at the battery and check the voltage there if ok next check the voltage at the ignition switch with the key off you should have battery voltage at 1 terminal with the key off if so then the next step would be to check all the saftey switches for loose connections and proper adjustment and opperation if those check out then return to the ignition switch and turn it on check for voltage at the next terminal and in the start position if you have voltage at the other terminals at the proper time move on to the starter soleniod and starter . during all the checks you also want to do an overall check for loose corrosion or paint at all ground connections i know others have their way of doing it but i find it easier to start at the battery and work my way to more complicated things from there the reason i said to check for power at the ignition switch before the safety switches is because no power at the ignition switch will cause your prob and it wastes time checking other items when it could be the simplest thing like a badly corroded battery cable that is corroded under the insulation and not allowing power through and if you have power to that point then check the safteys because now a bad one of these will prevent furthere diagnoses and complicate the process , good luck and im sure others will have suggestions to

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I'll try that. I took another ignition switch from another mower I had that was similar. Still nothing. I've got 12 amps coming from battery. Will try to work my way around. Thanks for reply.

·
Registered
292 Posts
from the sound of it you might have a bad safety switch somewhere but as i said earlier could be a bad ground or broken wire or the starter went bad or the solenoid hope you get it figured out without to much trouble good luck

·
Registered
668 Posts
Have you jumped it directly AT the starter with the key on to see if it will fire and stay running? Sounds like the PTO is on, the brake is off or the tractor is in gear OR any of those switches aren't engaging. You should also disconnenct the ground coming off the engine that shut the tractor down and keep it from starting IF it doesn't start when you jump it and only turns over. If it only turns over and won't start, but then starts when the ground is gone, its a bad switch

1 - 5 of 5 Posts