My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Joe
Joined
·
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you've ever tried removing wheels from the Horse tillers you know that at times they can be a true nightmare. I heard of guys cutting the axles or cutting the wheels off the axles or running the tiller without the pins in the wheels, trying to get them loosened from the axle. Fast forward to a couple days ago I figured I'd take the wheels off my 20+ yr. old Horse and clean the axles and wheels. I knocked the pins out, jacked it up and the wheels literally just slid off with a gentle tug. I am so grateful to the PO for keeping this machine so well maintained. I knew by the condition of the tiller when I bought it a couple years ago that it was well cared for. Anyway, I cleaned off the grease from the axles and inside the wheels and applied a coat of Never Seize and re-installed the wheels and pins. I'm a very happy camper.
Horse wheels.jpg
20200520_150754.jpg
 

·
Joe
Joined
·
1,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ramps, my good man. Actually, my "ramps" are two paver stones that give my jack the needed clearance to slide under. Really just a couple bricks.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,179 Posts
I know mine are locked tighter than a tick on a dog. I dread the day when I have to take mine off.
I would be hitting them with PB Blaster, Kroil now hoping that it creeps in before you need to remove them.

CCMoe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
499 Posts
I tried all the liquids etc. Nothing worked.
So I welded a couple of large square nuts to the wheel. Tighened a bolt into the nut to the axle. Viola! It's ugly but it worked. I can't remember if I used grease or neversieze but never again will it be rusted tight. And this in dry New Mexico! BTW, still original tires from 1981! Time for new tires and a test of my greased axles.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
499 Posts
Micah, I forgot to say at the beginning of my post that the PO was forward thinking. What a blessing to you!

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,476 Posts
I tried all the liquids etc. Nothing worked.
So I welded a couple of large square nuts to the wheel. Tighened a bolt into the nut to the axle. Viola! It's ugly but it worked. I can't remember if I used grease or neversieze but never again will it be rusted tight. And this in dry New Mexico! BTW, still original tires from 1981! Time for new tires and a test of my greased axles.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
That's a great idea. I've got some wheels on a Power Brush, that won't come off for me, that I was going to drill some holes in the rim and then fashion a puller to use them to get the wheel off, but welding a small tube to the rim, then a nut centered on it would do the job with less damage to the rim.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top