My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from eastern Indiana! I have an older Troy-Bilt Horse tiller that has a serial number of 417856 which puts its date of production on September of 1979. Thanks to the forum for this info! I recently replaced the engine because the old Briggs engine busted the bottom of the piston rod and sent the timing camshaft through the case. Bummer. The new motor set me back $400. Still cheaper than a new tiller!

I am looking for a replacement belt for this tiller because the old belt looks to be on its "last legs". I want to have a spare when this belt breaks. When I was looking around for a replacement belt - it seems that two types of belts are made for this tiller. One belt is for a two-speed tiller and another for a 4-speed tiller. My tiller has two forward speeds, but it also has reverse. Is this tiller considered a two-speed or a four-speed tiller? Also, any recommendations on a good belt would be much appreciated. Thanks!

·
Old Stonebreaker
3,398 Posts
The two speeds use 2 v-belts on engine and trans pulleys the same dia. The four speeds use one belt w/ two step pulleys giving you 4 speeds, two in hi range and two in low range. My horse is a 4 spd and I've used a NAPA 6540BR belt on it w/ no problems.
Mike

·
Registered
948 Posts
Replacement Belt For the Troy Bilt Horse is a # 9245. Amazon is where I purchased mine no tax, no shipping cost, great price but read the reviews. I decided on the Stens brand. TSC has a great selection also. Get the Kevlar/ Aramid style heavy duty belt.

HOPE THIS HELPS

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks a bunch guys! It seems that my tiller is considered a 4-speed, and you have given me a lot of options to choose from. I head to NAPA for other things maybe every other week. I will probably pick a belt up there.

-Rob

·
Registered
948 Posts
The 4sp uses only one belt. So the Troy Bilt #9245 is the # you should give to the NAPA counterman as a reference.

HOPE THIS HELPS

1 - 6 of 6 Posts