My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I scored this Horse off the side of the road for free the other day. I got it running well but I'm having problem with the drive. The belts are slipping unless I hold down on the engagement lever. I havent had a chance to look at it too closely but I did notice there seems to be slop in the main drive pulley at the trans. Looking at the IPL, there is only a snap ring that holds this on the shaft so it seems one would expect to see some movement there but how much is too much? I'm thinking this might my problem along with stretched belts. Anyway, here she is. It is a January of 1977 model with 6hp Tecumseh.

·
never too old to learn
350 Posts
Great find! I wish my neighbors would throw away such useful things.

I just replaced the belts in my Pony but haven’t had a dry enough day to till yet. I bought new belts last year but wanted to get the last bit of life from the originals. Reverse kept slipping off and I discovered it had finally cracked through the V to the fabric.

·
Choke's stuck on!
495 Posts
Wow that is a once in a blue moon road find!

I don't recall any slop in the transmission drive pulley. There is some end play in mine, maybe 1/16"-3/32". If you have radial play there, you'll need to take it apart and see what's worn. I'd expect you'd have oil leaking in the area.

Check the engagement lever adjustment block and move down as needed. It needs tweaked as the belts wear. The manual is here on this site as a sticky. Adjustment procedure begins on page 98.

If you do need new belts, the Oregon 75-685 belts are a perfect fit!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I would also recommend checking the lever adjustment block and moving it down slightly to take up slack in the belt. I'm not sure if everyone's horse is like this, but mine is very sensitive. 1/8 inch moves are typically plenty to get the job done.

·
Registered
233 Posts
" The belts are slipping unless I hold down on the engagement lever."

The 1977 year model I have uses one belt. Yes, it does have double drive and double driven pulleys, but it is to change speeds by changing which pully the belt is on.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Go over to the tiller section and after you find your model number download the free service and owners manuals. Lots of info available.

I just got through restoring one of those that was in bad shape. Looked like yours, engine and all.

If it had been a horse or cow I would have had to shoot it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. This is definitely the setup that uses two belts. I tire it apart tonight. The pulley bore is worn hour glass shaped and the key and key way are worn badly in both the pulley and the shaft. Really appears I need a new trans shaft and a pulley.
Not sure I want to put that much into it just yet so I think I'm gonna try to put a new key in, get some new belts and see how that does.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I may even try to cut a new keyway in the shaft 180 apart from the current one and get a used pulley. Anyone have a parts machine?

·
Premium Member
7,731 Posts
Great score!!!

Can you pull the pulley off and try to match it up at TSC?

Mike

·
Registered
890 Posts
Post the model and serial number of your tiller?

We need this info to answer your questions because several different designs of those machines even though they look same in pictures.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Serial number I have written down at home. It dates it as January 1977, I will post it after work.Where would I find a model number? All the original decals seem in place but I do not see a model listed anywhere.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Serial number is 254784.
Again, dont see any model info anywhere but I'm assuming it's a horse 1 based on the info I've been finding.
6 hp tecumseh HH60

1 - 15 of 15 Posts