My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friends tractor ran dry of gas, now the thing wont stay running unless the choke is on full. I replaced the in-line fuel filter and removed a device between the filter and the carb. It was a square box that had a the fuel line in on the bottom, a fuel line out to the carb and one line going to the oil resivoir. I think this may have been a fuel pump of some sorts. I took this apart and cleaned the daylights out of it. When I returned it back to the tractor, it ran fine for about 15 minutes and then needed the choke again.
I once again removed this and cleaned it and had the same results.

Perhaps this isnt whats wrong, but it seems to be the fix. Does anyone have any advice to offer?

·
Super Moderator
29,532 Posts
:Welcome1:

yes it is a fuel pump from teh sound of it. your issue is a dirty carb or a leaking gasket. use some carb cleaner and with the engine running and choked only enough to keep it surging, spray around teh outside of the carb good especially where it mounts to teh intake and head. if it idles up, then the gasket is bad and should be repalced(i usually just use permatex). if not, get soem Seafoam and put it in the gas tank. after a tankfull if it ain't runnign better you will need to remvoe the carb and clean it manually.

you may also want to jsut pull the bowl and see if it has some trash in it. runnign completely dry has a tendency to pull in trash from teh bottom of the tank. older fuel lines also break down from the inside, and flakes of them get in teh carb from teh lines between the filter and carb.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The gasget under the air filter is kinda shaddy and could use another. I can try that. I am not sure about removing the bowl, how hard is that? Anything I need to look out for?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts