My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,
I tried this a while ago on the Simplicity forum, but got few responses.

I have a 1996'ish Simplicity Regent with a 16hp vertical Briggs.

It wasn't turning over well; so I replaced the starter. Still too much resistance and very hard to spin by hand. Then I thought I had a bad electrical connection, so I replaced all of the starter/battery/ground circuity with good, clean, quality connections and wiring. Didn't help....

New plug/rebuilt carb, sprayed in some cleaner, pulled the valve cover and checked the rockers/valves...all looks "ok", and the rods are straight.

Someone suggested checking the valve adjustment. OK, since the pushrods and the rockers look OK, how exactly is that performed?

If I remove the plug, the engine will spin relatively freely. If I install the plug, the engine will rotate about 3/4 and hit a dead spot. I have to put a rag on the top of the dust/debris cover to turn it beyond that and keep from tearing up my hand, then it freely spins again.

Is it also possible that it's carbon buildup in the cylinder or piston? If so, is it possible to tear it down enough in place to clean it out, or does this entail pulling the motor from the frame?

I bought a new mower because of the reliability issue with this one...tires starting to crack...etc...but I figured before I sell it as a parts mower, I might try to get it running again, as it makes a nice cut.

Thanks Much!!!
Marc

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,074 Posts
Hard to turn over is a common symptom of this engine needing the valves adjusted though it can be other things I have a test for one.

I have detailed instructions for valve adjustment IF you would like them at address below, put in proper format.

Walt Conner
wconner5 at verizon dot net

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks very much walt! I will send an email from my work address, and also copy myself on it at home.

take care,
marc

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1 - 5 of 5 Posts