My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a free toro recycler with personal pace and have been fixing it up to try and make some extra money. I bought a new self propelled belt, and I replaced the primer bulb, I am going to sharpen the blade ad change the oil with some extra stuff I had on hand.

My question is, how do I fix the electric start? It works sometimes, but it usually just makes a horrible grinding noise, or it spins freely. Sometimes it engages after a little while holding the key.

I looked under the hood and it looks like the gear is supposed to drop down and engage with the flywheel, however it doesn't always go all the way down which causes the grinding, and sometimes it doesn't go down at all.

What could be the issue? Does the spring need to be replaced? Thanks.

·
3,213 Posts
Starter might need some lube... that's where I'd start anyhow.

Does this have a battery or is it a plug-in?

·
Turf consultant
140 Posts
I suggest looking at the pinion gear that meshes with the flywheel. It could be cracked and spinning freely on the shaft or missing teeth. Check the flywheel for missing teeth as well. A quick indicator would be if the mower isn’t spinning over with the starter engaged but will then turn over if you give the rope a slight tug.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I suggest looking at the pinion gear that meshes with the flywheel. It could be cracked and spinning freely on the shaft or missing teeth. Check the flywheel for missing teeth as well. A quick indicator would be if the mower isn’t spinning over with the starter engaged but will then turn over if you give the rope a slight tug.
I checked the pinion gear before and it is in perfectly normal condition. The problem is that the pinion gear doesn’t slide down and engage with the flywheel but I’m not sure why it does sometimes and the then times it only slightly moves down but doesn’t engage, and other times it doesn’t go down at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
3,213 Posts
The starter is powered by a 12v lead acid battery. Where would I need to lube it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
See where the friction points are, ie the path of the gear etc and try there.

Generally, if you're not sure you can spray down the area with some WD-40 (egads but) or some silicone grease and see if that helps.

Later once you identify where it's hanging up you can apply some better lubricant to the critical areas, ideally removing the starter and giving it a thorough cleanup and lube job.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts