My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Between the tranny and the reservoir there is a short piece to black rubber tubing. Well the reservoir tip that fits into the tube has no lip--so it keeps popping out and then oil goes all over the place.

So did the lip break off? Or is there no lip to help keep the reservoir affixed to the tubing?

I can not get at the hose clamp to tighten it--does any one know how involved it is to get at it?

Being likley dirt has gotten into the tranny because it is not sealed when the resivior keeps becoming out of the tube, should I bring it in to the JD dealer and have them drain it all? Any one have any idea what this would cost? I read where the manual said do not change the tranny oil to aviod possible contamination . So thinking not a DIY type of job. What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Alan

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any one?

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Well, you've already got "possible contamination" so yeah I'd change the oil. You can do it yourself. There is a drain plug on the bottom and you just add oil back into the reservoir tank. The dealer could do it, no problem. Changing the filter requires pulling the trans and taking off the cover, but I don't think you need to go that far.

I agree, I don't think there is a barb on there. Remove the bottle, wipe off the tank tube and hose well and maybe hit it with some carb cleaner to remove all oil, then tighten back with a regular hose clamp.

I don't remember the original clamp being hard to get to...but perhaps someone with an LX188 can fill you in there.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah as luck would have it, the upper hose clamp(#2) is situated so that is pointed towards the front.

Any one know what all needs to be done to get at the resevior? It is under the metal fenders that the seat sits on, and the gas tank is around the resevior too. So a bit concerned how much needs to get removed to get at it. ANyone know what all needs to be removed to do the job?

·
Registered
378 Posts
you will need to pull the fender deck off.Then lift up the fuel tank and you will have all the access you need to the reservoir.I have seen the bottom spout of the reservoir crack as well as the black rubber hose.Make sure both of them look good.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts