My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help with engine not starting. When trying it back fires really bad. I replaced the stator and fly wheel after I rebuilt engine. After initial rebuild, fly wheel key broke the fly wheel and messed up the stator ( when I first started it) so replaced those two parts. Now I can’t get it to start...?? Any ideas.

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,635 Posts
Should the points be open when the piston is at the top?
Depends. Is it TDC on the compression stroke (then yes), or TDC on the exhaust stroke (then no). Sounds like the timing may be off by one revolution, and the plug is firing on the exhaust stroke. There's enough residual gas vapor in the airflow that it ignites, and you get the backfire through the open exhaust valve.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Depends. Is it TDC on the compression stroke (then yes), or TDC on the exhaust stroke (then no). Sounds like the timing may be off by one revolution, and the plug is firing on the exhaust stroke. There's enough residual gas vapor in the airflow that it ignites, and you get the backfire through the open exhaust valve.
How do I fix this problem?

·
AKA Moses Lawnagan
4,635 Posts
It may be that the flywheel is keyed to prevent this; Have you set the point gap since replacing the flywheel key, like PA318Guy mentioned? 0.020" is the proper gap for Kohler K-series engines. Here's a pretty good video about setting the gap and timing the ignition.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts