My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whenever I turn off my 1955 Ferguson to-35 and then try to restart it, the battery barely turns the engine over and it won't start. After charging the battery for a few hours, it'll start up immediately. The amp meter shows positive amperage (not sure if that's the correct term) while it's running.

Assuming the battery isn't shot, what could be causing it to get drained so much during the operation of the tractor? If it were a bad generator, wouldn't the amp meter show a negative reading during operation? Thanks.

·
certified tractor nut
1,424 Posts
could be that the starter is in need of being rebuilt and not wanting to work when its hot from the tractor being run. and after a couple hours of sitting its cooled down enough to crank normally. but first thing grab a volt meter and check battery voltage with the engine running to make sure that the charging system is working properly you should have 13.5v - 14.4v with the engine running that is if its been converted to a 12 volt system already

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, should have mentioned that it's a 6 volt system.

And now that you mention the starter, I remember that it does sometimes tend to "free spin". By that I mean that after turning the engine a couple times, I hear what sounds like the starter spinning but it's not grabbing.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Ken. I'll do that. I have a tendency to overlook the simple potential solutions.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not sure what gauge the cables are. I think they're the same size as a standard auto battery cable.

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
There is also the remote possibility that your timing is too far advanced. Next time you experience this problem, disconnect and ground the coil wire and see how the engine cranks. If it's OK, you found the problem. If you've been around long enough to remember, this was a common problem with GM cars in the sixties and early seventies.

·
certified tractor nut
1,424 Posts
I'm not sure what gauge the cables are. I think they're the same size as a standard auto battery cable.
ok that right there could be the problem you need to use the 0 gauge cables with a 6 volt system otherwise they cant provide enough amperage to the starter. i still would suggest checking the charging system voltage with a multi meter you will want to see somewhere around 7 - 8 volts at the battery with the engine running if not try repolarizing the generator but you may have a bad regulator/cutout switch. start with basics first by gwtting the proper cables, cleaning all connections and making sure that charging voltage is good

·
Registered
3,407 Posts
The first thing I would do is check the voltage of the battery when you shut the tractor off. If the battery voltage is ok, let is set for a couple of hours without charging the battery and see if it starts. If it starts after cooling down I would blame the starter. Also, the bendix on the starter is kicking out too soon causing the "free spinning" sound you described.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts