My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello Everyone,

I have an '83 1614 that is getting an engine (Kohler K321) rebuild. I already buttoned up the engine without replacing the rear seal 'cause I couldn't get the clutch plate off. I am now thinking that since the clutch needs some adjustment, I still need to move that plate and pulley stack. I have loosened the set screws and tried a hydraulic wedge between the pulleys and the engine block. I put as much pressure on as I dared and no go. I also threaded (ruined) my pilot bushing to use a puller to get it out. I then threaded a bolt into the end of the crankshaft and tried a puller on the disk. I pulled as hard as I dared so as not to warp or break the disk. No go. Yes, I did give the puller a few good whacks with a heavy hammer. While I am waiting for my new pilot bushing and seal to come, what else can I try?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
fire wrench...

·
Registered
1,077 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Hi,

When I was taking apart a '67 pk that had set outside for several years,
and I was just learning about pk's: I took the engine/clutch/bellhousing out ot the tractor and set it on a table and with the bellhousing loose from the engine, I took a grinder and made "v" cuts 180 degees apart untill they were deep enough to clear the clutch assembly. If I remember correctly the depth of the "v" s ended up being close to 1/2" deep. The ability to center the bellhousing to the engine has not been compromised. I made my V's in between the bolt holes. I had a steel disc fabricated by a machinist friend with the pressure plate b/c and a threaded center hole that used a standard puller shaft. It looks very similar to "usernames" puller and exactly the same in function.

Any puller will damage the pilot bushing and require a new to be made or purchased.

When I used the puller my pulley/clutch holder came off easier than I expected.

Good luck.

chuckbob

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I finally got the clutch off the crankshaft. I just put the puller to it big time and it came off hard, but without damage. I now want to replace the rear crank seal on the K321, but the engine is already buttoned up from the rebuild. I really didn't think I was going to get that clutch to move so I closed the crankcase. I guess I will work it out carefully with an awl or sharp punch unless someone here has a better idea.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts