My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice on attaching a new Tarter 4' brush hog to my John Deere 1025r.

My tractor is having trouble lifting the Tarter up--as if it weighs too much. I think Occasionally it will lift about a foot off the ground in the back, but it has trouble staying up. It specs at about 463 pounds. According to one web site it is supposed to be able to lift 681 pounds on the link arms. Also, I would like to adjust the hitch such that when I lower the lever all the way down, the brush hog is not digging into the ground in the front.

Yesterday I purchased a quick hitch from Harbor Freight, and also bought two smaller vertical lift arms for the hitch. It works okay, but it is not at the point yet where I can just back up and attach it or unattach it.

Ultimately I would like to use the quick hitch to do all the lifting, and for the tractor to be able to lift the brush hog high enough off the ground.

I know this is not real clear, but I just wish I had more help setting up the hitch and adjusting it to work properly with the Tarter brush hog.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!
Bill

·
9K+ Poster
12,158 Posts
I need some advice on attaching a new Tarter 4' brush hog to my John Deere 1025r.

My tractor is having trouble lifting the Tarter up--as if it weighs too much. I think Occasionally it will lift about a foot off the ground in the back, but it has trouble staying up. It specs at about 463 pounds. According to one web site it is supposed to be able to lift 681 pounds on the link arms. Also, I would like to adjust the hitch such that when I lower the lever all the way down, the brush hog is not digging into the ground in the front.

Yesterday I purchased a quick hitch from Harbor Freight, and also bought two smaller vertical lift arms for the hitch. It works okay, but it is not at the point yet where I can just back up and attach it or unattach it.

Ultimately I would like to use the quick hitch to do all the lifting, and for the tractor to be able to lift the brush hog high enough off the ground.

I know this is not real clear, but I just wish I had more help setting up the hitch and adjusting it to work properly with the Tarter brush hog.

Thanks for any advice you can offer!
Bill
Hi Bill! Congrats on the new brush hog purchase. Your tractor has a (rotary) rate of drop control that can be dialed in to reduce (or stop) the drop. Adjusting that may give some remedy to your issue. Remember though, that is a lot of weight hanging back a distance. I'm not familiar with the Tarter brand, but many 3PH attachments have a choice of pin positions. If the Tarter has options here, this may help the nose digging in issue. If not, you might want to look at even some box blades at an outlet like Tractor Supply and note how there are different pin position possibilities. With a drill, you might be able to alter the height and angles. Cheers, JDFANATIC. :)

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
Once you have it "leveled" the 1025r has a settable stop which should drop it at the same place.
You didn't say which model you have but 4' is the only recommended size.
You may want to watch some you tube vids on brush hogs.

·
1K poster
1,840 Posts
Interesting Bill, I have a County Line 4' Bush hog and it has a Tarter sticker on it and it is supposed to be 360#, either way, your tractor should have no issues at all lifting it as it's well within the limit. My 1023 will lift with no issues, in fact, it will lift the 5' J-Bar land plane, which had a 606# ship weight (so I guess 575# or so since it's now minus the pallet it came on). That like a bush hog does seem heavier because they stick way out back like JDFANATIC said, but I would try his remedy first, if it still has an issue, you may have something else going on. Because as you stated, they have a lift capacity of 681 and I bet more could be lifted as the total is in excess of 1000#, but that figure is not at the 24" arms.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
if the weight is far back , it will not lift it. Heck - you could take a 12 foot 2x10, rig it up and stop the 3ph with your 1 hand.

reason being - the lifting force is based on torque of the lifting arms shaft. For example - if the 3ph arms are say 24" long and the lift capacity is 681lbs... then if you hang the weight 2feet bahind the hitch pins, you only get 340lbs of capacity. 6 feet back, and you're down to 227lbs... and so on.

in the case of the implement, the distance that matters is the implement center-of-gravity (CG), with respect to the hitch pins. If the implement CG is say 1 foot back of the hitch pins, your total "equivalent" lift arm length = 3 feet (2 for the hitch arms + 1 for CG offset)... which would mean that your implement cant be any heavier than 454lbs, otherwise you wont be able to lift it.....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts