My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife wanted a trommel for her little worm/worm compost business. So she researched and decided that a commercial one was just too expensive for her little operation about $2500 up. So she asked me if I could come up with one that was not too expensive.

I had seen one in operation a few years earlier when she bought her "starter" worms at a worm farm. I looked at commercial ones on the internet. Then I did my usual "scan" of the property -just looking at everything

I had in my head what the requirements were: I needed to make a cylinder about 8 feet long and 2 feet in diameter. It wanted to turn at about 6-12 RPM. The RPM's needed to be adjustable.The cylinder needed to slope down hill slightly and this feature also needed to be adjustable. Something was needed under the cylinder to catch the material coming through .A "worm magnet" was needed at the discharge end to help separate the worms from the large pieces of material that don't go through the 1/8 mesh hardware screen. So we are trying to separate the worms from the fine worm "poop" if you will.

So I just started to put it together after I picked a little lumber and plywood. Ordered my pillow blocks and ordered the hardware cloth

Attachments

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
home built at it's finest. Good Job Man

·
Premium Member
3,818 Posts
Very nice. I need to build something similar to separate the fines from my Stove coal.

·
Just Have a Little Faith!
9,271 Posts
" trommel"
"starter" worms at a worm farm.
"worm magnet"
worm "poop"
HAH! Is it just me or does anyone else not understand what the **** T is talking about???

Just kiddin' T! That is a really interesting build there. I'll be following this to see what else I can learn. I tried to raise worms once. It didn't go too well.

·
Banned
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HAH! Is it just me or does anyone else not understand what the **** T is talking about???

Just kiddin' T! That is a really interesting build there. I'll be following this to see what else I can learn. I tried to raise worms once. It didn't go too well.
Trommel is the German work for drum- I just call it a tumbler

A " worm magnet" is on the discharge end of the tumbler. It is a flared out sheet metal cone. It is supposed to catch the worms as they tumble on to it like a magnet would catch steel. The tumbler cylinder is set at a shallow angle- to allow the worm poop and the rest of the organic material (compost) to sift out to the tray below. The larger material and worms continue on until they land on the sheet metal cone. Well the worms tend to stick to the metal while the material keeps on going. I have had it work very well one time and the next not so.

Starter worms- it just means the worms you buy from someone else to start your own business.

You keep the worms in a bin or other form of containment- they are fed certain things at a controlled moisture level-the worm will go through all of this food in about 3-4-5 months and that is when you seperate the worms from the poop. The poop is usually sold as "worm compost" and other names

·
Just Have a Little Faith!
9,271 Posts
Someone put out a large container of worms that I brought home once. Apparently the garabage I added was too wet. Eventually they died.

Can a fellow start with Red Worms from the bait store?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts