My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I have a tandem axle trailer that keeps tripping one of the shackle straps when I drive over a terrace. In the normal configuration, the shackle straps are pointing up, but when one flips over, one is pointing up and the other is point down. Needless to say, one tire is off the ground when this happens. Any suggestions on how to stop this from happening, except stop running over terraces! Furthermore, when it does happen, what is the best way to flip it back?

·
Professional amateur!
1,003 Posts
maybe bolt some bump stops above the axles so they can't lift far enough to flop over or maybe some limiting straps to keep them from lowering too far or both.

i don't know what is suppose to keep it from doing that. i've taken apart the suspension on one before but i don't remember seeing anything that would prevent that.

·
Registered
177 Posts
If the springs have been replaced they may be too short
or the EQ's are too short

The correct postion would be for the shackle to be slightly shy [10-20deg] of verticle twards the center of the springs, when the trailer is on level ground and frame is parrell to the ground

When the trailer is loaded the spring will lenghten to verticle or slighly past towards the EQ

when they are too short and the eq rocks upon one side and lets the other straps fall down

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If the springs have been replaced they may be too short
or the EQ's are too short

The correct postion would be for the shackle to be slightly shy [10-20deg] of verticle twards the center of the springs, when the trailer is on level ground and frame is parrell to the ground

When the trailer is loaded the spring will lenghten to verticle or slighly past towards the EQ

when they are too short and the eq rocks upon one side and lets the other straps fall down
Now that is some useful information to know! Thanks.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
I've had this problem too with worn out springs, last couple trailers I've worked on, once the springs were replaced the with new the problem went away. If this is a new problem on a trailer that didn't do it before it could be the problem.

Brad

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Most trailer axles have some camber built into them, I have seen a few axles flipped so it negative instead of the desired positive. Either that or the axle has been bent although I have yet to bend a trailer axle, and trust me I've overloaded quite a few!

Brad

·
Registered
177 Posts
TooMany.... is correct
Most quality axles over a certain track, will have the camber buit in, as in a crown in the center of the axle that looks like the axle is bent up in the center

A cambered axle will set the top of the tire slightly outward so when loaded the tire is perpendicular to the road [also sometimes stated as to compensate for road crown]

Some companies actually use a strait axle [usually the square ones] and build the camber into the spindle
I have seen many trailers where the strait axles are install improperly and camber is reversed

and yes, I have seen both types of axles installed properly and the spindle or the shaft close to it, is bent from overloading, causing the top of the tire to be tucked inward

1 - 8 of 8 Posts