My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Wanna-B Tractor Nut
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I'm looking for a triple wide mower setup. The ones like I see along the highways mowing. A belly mower and a pull behind mower offset on both sides of the tractor. I've been looking around the net and can't really seem to find any...maybe its cuz I don't know exactly what to call them, or maybe they are not widely available. Either way, some direction to find websites for them would be great.

Eric

·
Registered
172 Posts
Don't see why you couldn't buy a couple of offset rear self-powered mowers from Northern tool and make a bracket to pull them both off-set to either side.......

WB

·
Wanna-B Tractor Nut
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I was thinking of something like that as a worst case scenario, but I have seen ones that are all driven from the PTO of the tractor. Obviously if there is a huge price difference then I'll go with the self powered tow behinds like mentioned.

Thanks for the info so far

·
Wanna-B Tractor Nut
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
http://www.tiger-mowers.com/products/flail/triple_gang_flail.asp

This is what I am talking about, but now that I have found them, these ones look quite expensive. Can't find a price on them though. Also it would prolly take a pretty big tractor to have the HP to run these, vs the suggestion of having the mower deck with its own engine.

Suggestions, ideas, comments?

Thanks

·
Registered
443 Posts
The mower on the left (facing the rear) will discharge grass all over the other unit, unless you offset the trail mowers front to rear quite a bit. This may or may not be an "issue" to you. but I would get tired of cleaning the engine cooling fins after a while. My suggestion is to buy one trail mower, use it for a while, then decide if two will be more appropriate.

·
9K+ Poster
12,160 Posts
Eric,

What size tractor will be running this? :)

·
9K+ Poster
12,160 Posts
I'm not that familiar with those models, but aren't we talking about 14-15 pto hp? If so, I don't know of any pto powered batwings that would work with that set up. :)

·
Wanna-B Tractor Nut
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, I think that's about what it is, but I don't have the tractor yet...I was thinking the 184 with the pull-behinds with their own motor...Obviously for a PTO driven, I'd need a bit bigger tractor, which is fine if I can find a good enough deal, I'd much rather have PTO anyway

·
9K+ Poster
12,160 Posts
Yeah, with that amount of hp, I think you'll be looking at self powered units. :)

·
Wanna-B Tractor Nut
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Do you know of anything other than the Tiger Mowers that look to be extremely high priced? Cuz like I said, I don't even have the tractor yet, so if I find PTO Mowers like I want at a decent price, then I will buy a tractor to fit them. If there aren't any out there other than the pricey ones, then I will stick with the self propelled units.

·
Registered
65 Posts
You are talking about two types of mowers. The flail mower and a rotary finish mower. Are you planing on mowing a large lawn, a large field, or ditches.
The flail mowers are a rough cut mower. It does not have a clean cut. If the flails are dull, it's even worse. They make great mowers for ditches and hay fields.
If your looking to do a large lawn. I have a 72" NorTrac Finish Mower 3 point hitch pto drive. It's attached to my 25 HP NorTrac 254 Diesel Tractor. My front lawn is 4 acres and it uses about 2 gallons of fuel to do the job.
If your looking at a 18 hp cub. It should be able to run a 5 foot finish mower.
Get a 5 foot finish mower with rear discharge. Then if you still need to go wider. Buy the swisher and mount it off of the finish mower. It would make lifting the first deck impossible, but the cub should still be able to pull both.
John

·
Wanna-B Tractor Nut
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I wasn't necessarily wanting the rough cut flail mower, I was just wanting wing mowers on each side and a rear mower. Does anyone know if there are any finish mowers made like that, or are the pretty much just rough cut mowers like that?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Land Pride lists their all-flex triple set-up as needing 30 hp. min for the 11' model. It looks to be 3 rotary finish mowers.

Bob

1 - 20 of 23 Posts