My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Saw a deal on this Trimmer-Plus add-on pole saw and thought I'd give it a try. Comes with an extension bar that makes the effective length about 6 feet when fully assembled on a power head. So far I've only tried it on my newer Husqy 128LD.
I thought Husqvarna used a proprietary attachment design? If they are compatible with Trimmer Plus attachments I might have bought one of power heads if I knew that. A couple of years ago I got a Troy-Bilt TrimmerPlus® pole saw attachment a few years ago off Craigslist. It was brand new with the protective plastic still on the shafts. I finally broke it in today. I found the balance when attached to my Cub Cadet 25cc 4-cycle power head to be pretty decent. I have a Portland (HF) extendable plug in pole saw which is why I hadn't tried this attachment until today and didn't feel like string out 100' of extension cord. I was impressed with the set up. I like that it has a large bar oil reservoir and it's easy to fill. The Portland is tiny and difficult to fill even with a funnel. The Portland uses a standard Poulanbar and chain which makes replacement chains easy to get. I hope the same is true for the TrimmerPlus® tool.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Apparently the trimmer plus works on husky's lower end LD models but the higher end is proprietary.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Apparently the trimmer plus works on husky's lower end LD models but the higher end is proprietary.
Well that's not confusing at all. They sure don't make it clear on their website. If only their Honda power 4-cycle was TrimmerPlus® compatible.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yes, I had been previously looking at a Husky powerhead and looked at the 128/129 thinking this would be a nice low cost option to use with the Husky attachments.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Not withstanding how much I quietly rely on Newsman and Jere's experience on property maintenance topics for my own selfish purposes.... (y)🤪

After 40 years of gas and muscle powered cutting tools, I've started investing in Battery powered tools that do as good (if not better at times) a job for my purposes. And... after a lifetime of using most flavors of the above, no one was as surprised as me of the capability of modern cordless outdoor tools!

Oh, don't get me wrong - I'll never give up the power of my gas saw for the heavy tree dropping/cutting but, I can't say enough about the grab and go versatility, ease of use, power and usefulness of my outdoor cordless power tools. I say this in reference to the Op's Pole-Saw trimmer post in particular (of which I have a cordless that can get me 12 feet of reach without a harness) but also my cordless chain saw, weed whacker, hedge trimmer, 20" push lawn mower(for those spots up and around the house), and leaf blower.

Don't mean to steer off course here. Just wanted to get a high five in for today's cordless options... (y)

Resnter

·
Premium Member
2,210 Posts
Yes, I had been previously looking at a Husky powerhead and looked at the 128/129 thinking this would be a nice low cost option to use with the Husky attachments.
There is a connector difference between the 128 and 129 models. The 128 is what is sold at the big box stores while the 129 is only sold by dealers.
I have the Husqvarna DJx129 model with the extension. Use it as a string trimmer and also use it with a Renegade brush blade. No problems with it and cuts almost anything. Recently I picked up the pole saw attachment and that works very nicely. Has no problem cutting through 6 inch pecan, water oak and camphor limbs high above my head.

Reactions: Brianf

·
Registered
772 Posts
I've started investing in Battery powered tools that do as good (if not better at times) a job for my purposes.
I tried a Ryobi 18V One+ trimmer and took it back to Home Depot. Max continuous use time was 15 min or about 100' of chain link fence. With ~900' of fence line I'd need 9-10 4 AH batteries and at 2+ hr to recharge it would take two days of swapping batteries. Their 40V system 4 AH battery has more than twice the Kilowatt-hour capacity but that would still require three batteries and at $129 each they are the same price as what the trimmer with battery sells for (buy a battery and get a free trimmer?).

But for tools that get intermittent use the quite is nice. A cordless pole saw for example would work. And if you buy multiple tools you can acquire extra batteries; assuming you stick with the same system. My limited experience though tells me you'd better stick with the 40V or 40/80 systems. I also wonder how long the batteries will last.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I cut branches to 35' with mine.
Click -->This is the one I have, with 8 poles.
It does get a little difficult the higher up, but I bury the tail into the ground for more control getting the saw to the branch.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I tried a Ryobi 18V One+ trimmer and took it back to Home Depot. Max continuous use time was 15 min or about 100' of chain link fence. With ~900' of fence line I'd need 9-10 4 AH batteries and at 2+ hr to recharge it would take two days of swapping batteries. Their 40V system 4 AH battery has more than twice the Kilowatt-hour capacity but that would still require three batteries and at $129 each they are the same price as what the trimmer with battery sells for (buy a battery and get a free trimmer?).

But for tools that get intermittent use the quite is nice. A cordless pole saw for example would work. And if you buy multiple tools you can acquire extra batteries; assuming you stick with the same system. My limited experience though tells me you'd better stick with the 40V or 40/80 systems. I also wonder how long the batteries will last.
I can get both sides of my 500' fence plus other areas/around trees with one charge of a 9ah battery on my m18 string trimmer. Lasts about as long as a tank of gas would last.

·
Registered
772 Posts
500' fence plus other areas/around trees with one charge of a 9ah battery on my m18 string trimmer
That looks like a nice tool. They make a Quik-Loc attachment capable model but unfortunately it's a proprietary system and it doesn't look like they make a blower/vac or tiller attachment and it would cost ~300 to replace the TrimmerPLus pole saw and edger I own. I'd need two batteries to do my yard and the 9 AH battery is $200. The big advantage is the M18 platform has lots of drill/driver/saw type tools which is what led me to try the Ryobi One+. If I'm doing the math right a 9 AH 18V battery is the equivalent kilowatt hours of a 4 AH 40 volt.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts