My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Gang, I'm just starting to think about getting a trim mower. Push type only - I don't have enough property to justify the self-propelled. Plus I want to use it to cut along a hill and over some poorly graded drainage pipes.

Anway, I'm looking at the Toro Super Recycler and I suppose the Snapper Hi-Vac push. Was considering a Honda push, but I've read their GCV motor is actually a pain to service compared to a Briggs.

Won't get many hours during the year. Was wondering what you guys thought? Oh, I HATE buying crap tools - Craftsman and Troy Bilt need not apply.

Jopopsy

·
Registered
2,930 Posts
I recommend a Lawn-Boy with a 19" aluminum or magnesium deck. It is 2-cycle, so it wouldn't stall on the hill and would be alot easier to push than the ones you mentioned. That's just what I would do, look how many Lawn-Boy's I have! LOL!

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
I would also go with a older lawn boy. It will still probably last longer then some garbage for sale in stores these days. The 2 cycle is great for hills too. Plus your in PA so it shouldnt be hard to find one. Check craigslist.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
For the right price I would part with my 5247.
http://www.mytractorforum.com/showthread.php?t=89983

Its lighter than a sneeze. Starts on pull number two, I just tuned it cleaned everything sharpened blade, aligned it a parrallel to TDC added new wheels with treads and added a fuel filter, adjusted rpms and it runs rock staedy at 3150 rpm.

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
If new is the way your wanting to go then the 2 you noted are fine mowers. I'd give the Snapper the nod if I were buying. Take a look at Ariens too.
If used, a LB like I have -5232- is probably one of the best and lightest (38LBS) mowers for what you describe, IMO. It's very powerful and will run on steep grades with no issues. Then again it's a 40+ YO mower. There's not telling what will go on it next.:D
MU

Attachments

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Lawnboy pre-compliance 19" 2 strokes are the best trim mowers you can have. IMHO.

The reason 2 strokes are better on hills is due to the lubricating oil being mixed in the gas so it's not affected by tilting the mower.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My hill is not particularly big - it would take me probably 3 passes on the JD but its just too steep. I guess what I'm saying is I don't see the mower tilted for very long. I'm going to assume that the amount of time its off kilter is more important than anything else right? Other than the hill I'll use it to take a loop around the house and probably around my trees (I have many - cutting the wheel tight on the JD often gets old). I'll use it to cut around the swingset mulch bed, etc. Save me from doing the back/forth jig on the rider.

I like the Toro 5 year warranty and everything I've read about them has been positive. Both the Toro and Snapper have the Briggs 6.75 engine on them. I've been told the Toro mulches superior to anything else out there (which is good b/c I have the dedicated mulch deck on the Deere). On the other hand, I'd like it to take some abuse too (maybe some very light duty brush hog work from time to time - no saplings or anything like that).

Seems like this is very much a LawnBoy forum - very little mention of Toro, Snapper, or Honda in the last 10 pages or so.

·
Super Moderator
29,532 Posts
when i was in teh same boat 3-4 years ago i just went and picked up a CHEAP bolens from Lowe's. it has served my needs just fine and cost under 140.00! for that same price you can probably pick up a good used LB and have a MUCH better machine.

if you know now that it would see abuse, i would stay away from a high end new machine. you would hate it if you spent 4-500.00 on a mower and then hit a sapling or stump and bent the crank!

check local mower/small engine repair shops, you may find a great deal there. one local shop here sells all teh stuff no one has picked up about 1-2x a year. i have not been when they do it, but have heard of folks getting 500.00 mowers for less than 100!

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
Seems like this is very much a LawnBoy forum.
Well, it might seem that way, and I take it as an indication of the quality of the older Lawnboys.

I've only been playing with these things for a few months, and i'll never to back to anything else.

An experienced older Lawnboy that's already been reconditioned is the way I would go if I was looking for something I didn't want to tinker with.

Several years ago my father paid a lot of money for a muray 3in1 from Home Depot. It doesn't discharge well from the side. I never used the rear bagger, and it doesn't even mulch well, the clippings just stick inside the deck until it clogs up completely.

A friend's father bought a Honda powered machine about the same time. He was never satisfied with it. He just bought a new Lawnboy from Home Depot. BIL just bought a new Lawnboy from Home Depot.

The Lawnboy I use primarily now cost me less than $10.00 plus a $40. part and is all the mower i'm going to need, hopefully for the rest of my life, which is going to be a while.

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
Forgot to mention my Dad has a Toro recycler/bagger, rear drive personal pace that he likes fine. Last time I saw him I sharpened the blade for him. I just remember it waying a ton! It was a model that HD sells with the electric start.

MU

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
when i was in teh same boat 3-4 years ago i just went and picked up a CHEAP bolens from Lowe's. it has served my needs just fine and cost under 140.00! for that same price you can probably pick up a good used LB and have a MUCH better machine.

if you know now that it would see abuse, i would stay away from a high end new machine. you would hate it if you spent 4-500.00 on a mower and then hit a sapling or stump and bent the crank!

check local mower/small engine repair shops, you may find a great deal there. one local shop here sells all teh stuff no one has picked up about 1-2x a year. i have not been when they do it, but have heard of folks getting 500.00 mowers for less than 100!
Certainly worth considering given what I intend to use it for. Bolens is right around ******** territory, though I refuse to buy a ********. Aside from hand tools, I have not bought a SINGLE ******** ANYTHING that actually lasted or stood up as one would think/hope.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
The LB guys won't like this, but I hate using my 7024 LB on hills. I agree that a 2 cylce is ideal for hills but the staggered wheel design is not friendly on rough terrain uneven surfaces. The lawnboy Scamp does not have a staggered wheel and would work well but they had a steel deck prone to crack so finding a good one is like looking for a needle in a haystack. For cutting my hilside I have an older (1980's) Snapper with a 2 cylce robin wisconsin engine. I got it for $15 at a yard sale. It has the metal wheels with ball bearings, and is a very though mower. The older Snapper Hi-vacs have the very best mower deck IMO, the wheel components and adjusters are sturdy. They also made a 2 cylce snapper with a tecumseh.

·
Registered
4,418 Posts
The LB guys won't like this, but I hate using my 7024 LB on hills. I agree that a 2 cylce is ideal for hills but the staggered wheel design is not friendly on rough terrain uneven surfaces. The lawnboy Scamp does not have a staggered wheel and would work well but they had a steel deck prone to crack so finding a good one is like looking for a needle in a haystack. For cutting my hilside I have an older (1980's) Snapper with a 2 cylce robin wisconsin engine. I got it for $15 at a yard sale. It has the metal wheels with ball bearings, and is a very though mower. The older Snapper Hi-vacs have the very best mower deck IMO, the wheel components and adjusters are sturdy. They also made a 2 cylce snapper with a tecumseh.
the 2 cycle Robin is considered one of if not the best 2 cycle engine by many people.

·
Castor Freak
2,167 Posts
"the 2 cycle Robin is considered one of if not the best 2 cycle engine by many people."

They run pretty smooth and can take a beating, I have one on a Jacobsen deck, so does 2201 Lawnboy Ave.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Well i have had awesome MTD Menards mowers for a while. Heck my grandpa bought a new MTD in 1984 and used it for 20 years and he never did any maintenance on it and it still runs great! (briggs engine) No oil changes or anything and it just wont die! Also i found a MTD in the garbage a 3 year old one with a tecumseh and i HATE tecumsehs but this thing is great! I was cutting grass and weeds up to my knees and it was cutting great. My aunt has a MTD she bought last year at menards for $165 and its a beast with the 193cc briggs on it. I would look into those if you are in need of a plain jane push mower that will last.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
Be careful with MTD, as some of the new ones have "chinese" engines, not briggs. You have to clean under the decks pretty often too, the baffling gets clogged up and then it will rust out, I just had 2 like that earlier this year.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts