My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it has the right bracketry for the tractor, it sits right on the back with pins and the center pin. But for those that don't remember, someone decided to put a gas motor on it when the hydraulic unit failed is my guess.

So I top off the oil, put in some gas, and she won't fire. I didn't have real hi hopes anyways. No spark, so first I took the coil off, cleaned the pick up surfaces, and set the gap, still no go, then I went to swap on a coil from another engine I have laying around, but I've never seen this, the coil doesn't unplug anywhere, its like its hard wired to this engine. What am I missing? And any other input is appreciated. Oh, this is a Briggs 4 hp motor

·
Banned
2 Posts
it has points and condenser under the fly wheel the black wire gos to the condenser you will have to remove fly wheel ...While you have it off i would swap the points and condenser this could be your no spark prob not very often a coil gos on them it is possible tho ..I would place my money on the points ..Check the little plastic plunger also to make sure it opens the points ..and that its gaped right

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ah, thanks for the quick response, I haven't had the pleasure of dealing with those yet. I'm assuming I should just go buy new ones, try that first, or get a new coil to?

·
Banned
2 Posts
no prob i would give you the gap specs but i cant remember ..I have so many numbers in my head and i dont have the manual here its at the shop

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So in the trailer with the vac parts was another engine. After cleaning the point and condenser, and getting a super weak spark after that, I went to the other engine. I had spark, poured some gas in the carb and it at least runs. I need to clean the carb and tank, and it should be good. Then I'll just transfer that engine over.

Thanks for the help, I'm sure I could get the other one running, but this one should run for free, and it is probably only 15 yrs old, instead of the probably 25 yr old engine on there now.

·
Registered
1,616 Posts
I never replace points. I would just buy a Magnetron coil for your engine and junk the points, condensor and old coil. That is for MOST Briggs engines, the Magnetron may not be available for really old stuff. The last one I bought was $26.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts