My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Super Moderator
27,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had a weight bracket that had been cut up for use elsewhere but didn't need it, so I decided to put it back together again, your thoughts please on the welds. I had to adjust the voltage and wire feed down as it seemed to be blowing through the 1/4 inch steel at first.

Inside 45

Outside, I ground 45 degree angle on both edges before welding so took two passes to cover (I still can't see seams when burning to follow them) the angles.

Attachments

·
Long Time Thread Stalker
256 Posts
The inside weld looks good. pare you using any sort of pattern of movement of the gun while welding? I presume that is with .035 flux core, right?

·
Super Moderator
27,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The inside weld looks good. pare you using any sort of pattern of movement of the gun while welding? I presume that is with .035 flux core, right?
Yes, .035 and flux, trying the "e" movement with the gun as much as possible. That inside weld looks about the best of any welding I've done so far to my untrained eye. What about outside weld?

·
Long Time Thread Stalker
256 Posts
Ok,
that’s a good technique. Just try to slow down a little bit on the outside weld, it will be more consistent. Also, try turning up the wire feed rate slightly, but keep the amperage the same. Practice, practice practice!

·
Super Moderator
27,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info, I could feel the wire hitting steel occasionally so I actually slowed it down a bit. I will be getting some practice, fenders on trailer to replace and finishing my JD 80 cart, also got to find some steel to put the rest of the top link bracket on the weight bracket.

·
Super Moderator
31,429 Posts
Ive been fighting issues with my old MIG, and just got it sorted a few weeks ago.. Much learning and practice is making better welds for me. Looks like your getting in the ball park... Try laying some more beads and try to work on getting your pattern down.. I know when I was practicing I found myself making large movements, and left ratty welds. Once I worked at it more, and brought that pattern in and used finer movements it really started to improve.. That being said, I still suck at welding... :) But just talking about what Ive been going through learning.

·
Super Moderator
27,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Paul, I don't expect to be an expert...ever! I don't weld enough to get there. My major concern is getting good enough penetration to make sure things hold together, I have a grinder for "pretty" and the outside welds ground smooth with no imperfections so I'm happy with that. Now I do need to work on the ability to do a straight line but that has been a lifelong issue!! Glad to know that I'm not the only one out there trying to at least have reasonable welds.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Yes, .035 and flux, trying the "e" movement with the gun as much as possible. That inside weld looks about the best of any welding I've done so far to my untrained eye. What about outside weld?

If you have a MIG machine, have you tried using straight wire and C25 for gas?

I am new to this also, practice practice practice. "It should sound like bacon frying, if it smells like bacon frying you are on fire".:sneaky:

·
Super Moderator
27,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you have a MIG machine, have you tried using straight wire and C25 for gas?

I am new to this also, practice practice practice. "It should sound like bacon frying, if it smells like bacon frying you are on fire".:sneaky:
I do have gas and straight wire but haven't set up with it yet. Wanted to get a handle on using it with flux wire first before I start using the gas. Once I got the voltage correct it was a good bacon sound without any popping and only very little splatter too.

·
Long Time Thread Stalker
256 Posts
I do have gas and straight wire but haven't set up with it yet. Wanted to get a handle on using it with flux wire first before I start using the gas. Once I got the voltage correct it was a good bacon sound without any popping and only very little splatter too.
If you’ve got gas and wire, use it!
i have used both, and welding with gas is sooo much smoother, it leaves very clean welds.

·
Long Time Thread Stalker
256 Posts
Nah,
stick with the .035 solid wire if you have it.
I have welded exhaust and sheet metal with .035 solid wire.

·
Super Moderator
31,429 Posts
Gas is a cleaner weld for sure. If your doing a lot of welding outside though, I would not ditch that Flux core yet. Flux works so much better out in the weather!!

That being said, My welder stopped working. I thought it was my lack of skill... But it just wouldnt weld right.. So I switched back to Flux, after being on gas, and it works now. I read someone elce having that issue also. It would work fine on one polarty, but not the other.. So changing switching the polarty, and going back to flux core, it works... Dont know why, but it gets the job done for me..

·
Super Moderator
27,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Paul, I don't plan to ditch the flux even if I switch over. I think I bought 3 reels two .035 and one .030 and when I decided to get gas bought one of each size in plain wire for working with that. Probably test it out next week, suppose to warm up again and I can open windows in basement without freezing!!

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Gas is a cleaner weld for sure. If your doing a lot of welding outside though, I would not ditch that Flux core yet. Flux works so much better out in the weather!!

That being said, My welder stopped working. I thought it was my lack of skill... But it just wouldnt weld right.. So I switched back to Flux, after being on gas, and it works now. I read someone elce having that issue also. It would work fine on one polarty, but not the other.. So changing switching the polarty, and going back to flux core, it works... Dont know why, but it gets the job done for me..

MIG and flux core require different polarity.

So, for gasless MIG welding polarity (when using flux core wire), your MIG welding polarity settings should be set to direct current electrode negative (or DCEN). With DCEN, the negative terminal inside your machine is hooked up to your electrode (your MIG gun) while the positive terminal is hooked up to your ground.

How To Set Your MIG Welding Polarity Settings ...
makemoneywelding.com › how-to-set-your-mig-welding-polarity-setting

·
Registered
116 Posts

Could the problem be using .035 solid wire on thin steel? It can be hard to weld with on thin steel. Maybe try your .030 solid wire. Polarity is reversed for solid wire vs Flux core, check your manual. I would think for .035 solid wire you would want an over 200 amp machine. If you are welding sheet metal then .023 solid wire.

Don't forget gun liners and rollers are for certain size wire. You need to change when you get out of range.

·
Super Moderator
27,602 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Polarity is reversed already and I may try the .030 wire, I was thinking that may be an issue. The tailgate is very thing with pitting that changes the thickness along the edge, it blows through every once in a while.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts