My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was snowblowing our first storm in october and my chute kept plugging up with wet snow. Any tricks that'll i can use? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
241 Posts
First snow is usually a pain in the but as the ground is not frozen yet and as you said, produces wet, chute clogging snow.

I guess I have just accepted this as normal. I've tried a few things but never had any positive results.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Yuppers......shovel or push the first two wet snows and use a snowthrower from then on.

Wax, silicone or veggie spray on chute so it wont stick. Works on snow blade too. Veggie spray seems to lose its effectiveness in a short time, at least to me. Thats why I like silicone lube. It seems to last longer.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Is yours a single stage or two stage? I suspect the single stage would plug more often than a two stage.

I haven't ever used used mine. It is a single stage 38 inch. Previous owner said it throws the snow pretty good - but I doubt it will be as good as a two stage.

Sure would like to find a two stage for my 4514.

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
15,065 Posts
Polish, wax and spray. I've had good results with WD40. Spray it on when it is dry. You can also let the machine sit out in the cold for a little while before using it. If it's been in a warm garage the snow melts faster in the chute and tends to clog faster.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
I have one of each. My Cub blower is two stage and is GREAT at throwing snow. Better with silicone spray on the plastic chute too. I dont even bother with my one stage on the Wheelhorse. The chute is so rusty right now, it wouldnt matter what I sparayed on it much.

I am wondering if some rubberized undercoating spray on the underside of the chute might work to cover some of the rust in the chute and make it a little slicker.

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
15,065 Posts
I don't think the undercoating would be slick enough. Perhaps if you sanded the rust as best you can, then use Rustoleum paint followed by a coat of polish/wax it might help the snow flow through easier. :dunno:

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys. I have two stage snowblower for 4518. It really does throw the snow well when the chute is not clogged up with snow...

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
as an FYI - the reason the silicone works best or should work best, a) it's got a wider temp range, so viscosity doesn't change as radically as petroleum oils, b) it doesn't float off in water, but sinks and likes to cling to substrates

i use silicone in a product here - this was also from that retired DOW Chem lab chief

in fact, an interesting tidbit for those old enough to remember the old Brylcream "a little dab will do you" hair cream advertisements - silicone does not dry out, and is totally non-toxic - it was the "secret" ingredient in Brylcream (not sure i'm spelling Brylcream correct, but fwiw)

·
Registered
739 Posts
Just finished up restoring a 40yr old Simplicity single stage blower.Not wanting to mess up the new paint job,I covered the inside of the chute area with some .030" Lexan.Have no idea how it will work,but it definitely will protect the paint.Can't see it that well in the pic but here goes.

·
Registered
444 Posts
i'm not so sure about the 2 stage working better,I think maybe it only works better onn dry snow.The single just needs some speed adjustment -"keep it full".but don't choke it. single stage is much more direct flow thru than 2 stage.I have used 2 stage walkbehinds and a 1 stage drive behind. I'll take the single anyday,no second fan or extra, minimum 180 degree turn for the snow to go thru on it's way out thru the chute.If it does choke i would think its easier to clear out. Just saying, It could just be I don't like walking behind a snowthrower-Rather sit and drive

·
close enuff works for me
3,151 Posts
I have waited until 8:00 at night to blow snow.It usually gets colder after the sun goes down ,and cold crystalized snow blows better:fing32:

·
Registered
4,060 Posts
yep. go out early, or wait and go out late.. With my old snowblower ( 1972 Gilson/ Montgomery Ward 470C 8/26" "dual stage" ). It would blow wetter snow at 6 AM without clogging. it starts to clog as the sun comes up.. dry snow it will blow regardless, but it does perform better in the early morning or night.. Ither 2 stage or single stage, keep them as full as they will run

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
:sidelaugh i thought all snow was wet

·
Registered
241 Posts
:sidelaugh i thought all snow was wet
Water as we know it can exist in three phases. A solid, a liquid, and a gas. I think it's safe to say that only the liquid phase is what we consider wet.

Example, you can go out in the snow when it is cold enough and not need an umbrella even though it's water falling from the sky like rain is.

You can run around all you want when the humidity is at 50% and the only wetness you will collect will be from sweating.

I know you were just being funny but I had to reply.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts