My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was an older thread where folks mentioned they were using the outlet plug to connect a trickle charger. Not sure when JD switched over to the new digital dash, etc., and if these electronics are more susceptible to voltage spikes from connecting stuff like a battery charger, but was wondering if any owners of the newer x700's have used the 12v outlet to maintain the battery. FYI - I would use a Battery Tender Jr. which is just a .75A 'smart' trickle charger, not a 'real' battery charger.

·
Premium Member
6,446 Posts
If you trickle charge thru power port, starting in 2013 ( I think) the power port only works with key on, so no charging thru port unless 2012 and older.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Install ring terminal extender on battery posts, string extender plug thru grill, then just plug Tender Jr whenever you store tractor.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Not sure why you use a tender unless you don’t use the tractor for months, but adding the adapter harness would be a great idea as long as the socket part of the plug is 12V+, otherwise there’s a chance of the bare terminal touching something grounded. Another option would be to cover it when not in use.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Adapter harness does have a weather proof cover.

Attachments

Reactions: RT3360

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Not sure why you use a tender unless you don’t use the tractor for months, but adding the adapter harness would be a great idea as long as the socket part of the plug is 12V+, otherwise there’s a chance of the bare terminal touching something grounded. Another option would be to cover it when not in use.
I have the Battery Tender brand adapter harnesses on the batteries of all three of my tractors and thought about that when I installed it. If I recall, the socket (female) side of the connector is indeed the 12-volt positive lead so no need to worry about shorts. The manufacturer was thinking when they made it.

I use a tender full time during the winter months and attach it every other month during the summer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Install ring terminal extender on battery posts, string extender plug thru grill, then just plug Tender Jr whenever you store tractor.
That was my original plan, even purchased the ring terminal harness. Not that the install is hard to do, was just looking for any other options.

·
Premium Member
6,446 Posts
I forgot to write, that I wouldn’t plug battery tenter into socket, I know it’s a pain on some X7xx to access battery. The one time I used a trickle charger on my x720 I just put clamp on big cable at starter and ground clamp on ground cable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 8 of 8 Posts