My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting older, so the knees and back and hips aren't what they used to be. But I still wanna take care of my trees.

Does there exist a tool that can insert tree feeder spikes unto the ground, from a standing position?

·
Premium Member
9,248 Posts
A quick Google search found this:

Lutz Fast Feeder

It looks like you still need to bend over to inset them, but the hole is already there so there's no force necessary while bent over. Maybe use that in conjunction with this to insert them in the holes without bending over:

Reach extender

Reactions: 3 Legged Dog

·
Registered
432 Posts
I'm getting older, so the knees and back and hips aren't what they used to be. But I still wanna take care of my trees.

Does there exist a tool that can insert tree feeder spikes unto the ground, from a standing position?
They’re called “kids”… they come in many variations. Kids, Grandkids, neighbor kids. Lol, but no self operated tool that I know, but that is a million dollar idea!

Reactions: tm10058196

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A quick Google search found this:

Lutz Fast Feeder

It looks like you still need to bend over to inset them, but the hole is already there so there's no force necessary while bent over. Maybe use that in conjunction with this to insert them in the holes without bending over:

Reach extender
Hey Nouveau *******,

Thanks, the Lutz Fast Feeder is just the thing I was looking for. It's a little pricey, but I guess it'll be a one-time thing.

As it happens, I've already got the Reach Extender tool. I mostly use it to pick up trash off the highway shoulder strip of grass outside my fence. One little paper towel can make such a mess on the fresh-mowed strip If the blades find it before I do.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They’re called “kids”… they come in many variations. Kids, Grandkids, neighbor kids. Lol, but no self operated tool that I know, but that is a million dollar idea!
Hey MiniHomesteader,

Agreed, but my kid is a lazy millennial who hates manual labor. He has pushed the little mower for me at times, and even hoped me put in the last batch of tree spikes (with griping). He has expressed wanting to live in a town- home so he would have no yard work. Oh well.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I posted this same question about a tree feeder spike insertion tool on a gardening forum. A member there replied that it would actually be better to crumble up the feeder spikes, spread them around the root zone, and water them in well.

Opinions on this? I thought the whole idea of feeder spikes was to get nutrients down below the soil surface and into (or closer to) the root zone?

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
16,633 Posts
The spikes are also designed for slow release over an extended period. Crumbling them would allow rain to release the food all at once, which may not be good for the tree. :unsure:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts