My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The transaxle on my 1994 12.5hp MTD 444 (sold as Lawnflite here in UK) has literally fallen apart. While mowing, the axle on left hand side, complete with wheel, started to slide out of the housing leaving me freewheeling down a hill with no brake. Luckily I pitched head-on into a tree before the wheel and axle actually came right off!
I pulled the axle out and it has a threaded end that still seems to be intact. Can this be fixed easily? Would it require a whole new axle?
Thanks

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
Welcome to the forum. If you can get some numbers I am sure someone can help you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This may be a dumb question, but do I have to remove the drivebelt before removing the transaxle?
Any help gratefully received... my grass is getting very long.

·
Simplicity Benn
1,574 Posts
:wwp: :wwp: :wwp: :wwp: welcome to the forum btw! im sure someone here will lead u in the right direction

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the suggestions.
I tried pushing axle back into housing but something stops it from going in the last inch or two.
Guess I'll have to resort to surgery.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is probably the longest time ever to write a follow-up!
Well the tractor sat under a tarpaulin in the yard since I wrote the above post in 2009.
Last week I decided to fix it. Stripped axle out, took it apart, and found a single nut holding the half-shaft in place had come off. That was it. Quick fix but it took me ten years!
Amazingly, a bit more messing about and I got the engine to start and she's running really well.
Only problem is there's a lot of slop in the axle pivot, meaning when I steer the whole axle moves backwards and forwards.
It's really not worth putting in new parts - and used ones are hard to come by here in Scotland.
Has anyone tried using shims or washers to fix this?

Thanks.

·
Parts collector
2,970 Posts
Dang man 10 years to find out a nut came loose. LOL............ :tango_face_grin:

I am assuming you mean the front axle. solid cast or stamped metal? You can get a new bolt and bushings to solve that problem.

Good luck.

·
Registered
36 Posts
This is probably the longest time ever to write a follow-up!
Well the tractor sat under a tarpaulin in the yard since I wrote the above post in 2009.
Last week I decided to fix it. Stripped axle out, took it apart, and found a single nut holding the half-shaft in place had come off. That was it. Quick fix but it took me ten years!
Amazingly, a bit more messing about and I got the engine to start and she's running really well.
Only problem is there's a lot of slop in the axle pivot, meaning when I steer the whole axle moves backwards and forwards.
It's really not worth putting in new parts - and used ones are hard to come by here in Scotland.
Has anyone tried using shims or washers to fix this?

Thanks.
Better late than never, eh? :p

I can't help with specifics as I'm entirely ignorant of the details on the unit, but I would put in a bushing/weld/shim to secure it. I'm betting that if it is shifting around it will only serve to make things worse. Depending on the gap you're trying to close, I would look at polyeutrathane automotive bushings. Is there perhaps some parts you may have missed during reassembly?

If you can take some pictures; you'll get much better advice. If you take pictures and start a new thread (perhaps link to this one for context on original problem) you'll likely get even better answers.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for your help, guys.
I should have made clear it is a front axle problem.
I'll have a go at posting some pictures.

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
there may be a centre bolt on the front axle that's loose. Or there's a tube piece that's worn. I'd need to look at mine. I have a parts 400 series that's needs to be disassembled soon.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts