My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after reading as much as I could here (see my previous post Hydro advice of 09-06-2011) and talking to TuffTorq, I drained the old fluid (dark but not dirty) from the K61 transmission in my JD lx188. After replacing it with the TuffTorq recommended synthetic and following the bleed procedure I took the tractor off the stands and fired it up. I suppose the fact that the machine actually moved in both directions is progress but the gawd-awful noise it made chased my dogs under the porch. I’m taking that as a pretty good sign that the tranny is trashed. Unless anyone can offer some other suggestions, I think I’m gonna crack this thing open this winter and see what I can see...

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I would take it apart, Might be a bearing is letting go or has already gone, Which is causing more damage.

·
MTF Tractor Nut
4,431 Posts
Did it make the noise before the oil change? I can't imagine synthetic oil being the problem...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Slow to respond here, just got back in town but thanks for the comments. Prior to my efforts the machine did not make noise but neither did it move. It would just kind of sit there and “stutter” while you pushed the pedals. I think I’m gonna take Walt’s advice and replace the synthetic fluid with the sae30. I’m not expecting it to cure the problem but you never know - I’ll be interested to see what difference it makes. Thanks to BOSOX for the k46 link. A rebuild doesn’t look too intimidating so if all else fails I think that’s what I’ll try.
Thanks again guys...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts