My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I am new to this forum and love it- there is so much info on here and so many knowledgable minds.
Anyways, out of someones trash this morning I picked up this Generac SV 2400 with a Briggs and Stratton engine.
There are 2 wires coming down out of a connector that is plugged into the coil, the other ends look like they came out of what I believe is the "crank sensor". I could understand 1 wire going down to the crank sensor but why are there 2 wires coming out of the plug that attaches to the coil, I think one would go to the crank sensor- where would the other one go? maybe to the "run-stop switch?

Here is the coil and you can see the 2 wires coming out of the plug from the right

Here are the ends of the 2 wires, I believe at least 1 goes to that crank sensor but where would the other one go to?

Front cover that covers the coil

Any Ideas?

·
Registered
27 Posts
What you are calling a crank sensor is the low oil shutdown switch.
Both of those wires from the coil are kill wires.
One to low oil.
One to off/on switch.
Motor should run with both of them hooked to nothing.

·
20,000 +posts!
20,959 Posts
That is a low oil shut off switch,one "kill" wire will go from it to the coil,(one of the two on the plug on it ) and the other probably went to the remote throttle/shut off controls..the "crank sensor" is built into the coil,its thart lump on one side next to one of the armature legs..

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So what powers the coil to send a spark to the spark plug?
Also if the engine will run with both of them off looks like I need to rebuild the carb, or at least clean it and replace the gas and put a new spark plug in it.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Great find! Does the engine turn over? It appears to be in decent shape. Does the oil look normal or is it molasses?

Anyway, a little tuning and you might have a great generator there.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great find! Does the engine turn over? It appears to be in decent shape. Does the oil look normal or is it molasses?

Anyway, a little tuning and you might have a great generator there.
Yes, the engine turns over- I think the carb is gummed up- I poured a bit of gas in the spark plug hole and it fired for a second. The oil is dirty but not thick. i went and bout a new plug for it today and will take the carb out tomorrow and put new gas in the tank
This is actually the 2nd gen I got out of someones trash. The first one I got, below, I put a new plug in, changed the oil and air filter, new fuel line as someone had cut the old one to drain the fuel to throw it away, and she fired right up- I ran it for 4 days straight during a power outage we had her in New England following a major ice storm. Hooked it right toi my fuse panel and ran the whole house keeping mom from having to go to the hospital as she was on a breathing machine at the time. That gen was a generac 4000 watt electric start.

·
22,321 Posts
That was a nice one too! You'll get this one going too.

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
Not a bad find! Please tell me when you were running it hooked to the breaker box, you tied into the circuit after you removed it from the box so you didn't back feed the utility line? I sure hope so as I'm sure you're aware of the repercussions of doing so. Lineman have been killed by folks doing this along with massive fines from the utility if they catch you or there is an accident. Just do it safely is all I'm saying here! :fing32:

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not a bad find! Please tell me when you were running it hooked to the breaker box, you tied into the circuit after you removed it from the box so you didn't back feed the utility line? I sure hope so as I'm sure you're aware of the repercussions of doing so. Lineman have been killed by folks doing this along with massive fines from the utility if they catch you or there is an accident. Just do it safely is all I'm saying here! :fing32:
Of course- My uncle is a master electrician with 30+ years under his belt and knowing him EVERYTHING is done by the book with safety in mind. He hooked it up for us.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That was a nice one too! You'll get this one going too.
Got it running this morning- i am going to run the old gas out, add new gas with some Sta-Bil, change the oil and put it away for the next week long power outage. :bump9:

·
22,321 Posts
Congratulations!

Post a pic of the fix that you used on the loose wires. Inquiring minds want to know!

·
Super Moderator
29,563 Posts
we have that exact same SV2400, i can tell you that the low oil sensor is SENSATIVE. if the oil is half a thread low on the fill hole, it will not fire up. fought that battle with ours one day, finally disconnected the oil sensor and away she went. it may have taken .25 ounce to get it where the sensor liked it.

the drawback to this unit is it is 120v only, no 240. but they run smooth and quiet- perfect for a camp site or back of the yard project where you need AC.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
as you can see in the pics the low oil wire is disconnected so I think I will just leave it that way. I just bought some oil so I will change it tonight, run some good clean gas through it with Sta-Bil and put it away.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I noticed in the fuel tank there is some sort of "foam" insert- does anyone know what i am referring to and if so what is it's purpose.

·
4K Poster!!!
4,504 Posts
Most generators should be run under load once in a while. Otherwise, they lose their magnetism and need to be serviced before they will generate again. There is a thread somewhere around here about that very subject.
Having said that, my generator sat for years in the PO's garage and never ran once. The carb was packed nearly solid with crud, it sat so long. Once I got the engine running again, it works just fine. YMMV, just a heads-up.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts