My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have burning bush (Euonymus) all through my woods. It makes great hedges. I have a new area I want to hedge off, and I want to replant some burning bush today. I have never been able to kill this stuff. You can literally grab the main stem, rip it out of the ground, walk to where you want it, drop it there and it will grow. The advantage to doing it now is the shrubs now have their stunning red fall color so they are easy to spot.

My question is, since the growing season is pretty much over, should I wait until Spring to move them when growth is just starting, but I'll have to look for them?:tango_face_smile?

·
5,115 Posts
Transplan them now ...just throw a half cup of bone meal in each transplant hole before backfilling..and keep wet for at least a week

·
Administrator
17,142 Posts
Transplanting now will allow the roots to get somewhat established as the ground won't freeze for at least another month or so. Yes you can do in spring but then a lot of the plant's energy is going into making leaves. Like Mark said, bone meal AND water. You will see just how dry the ground is when you dig.
MikeC

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I've heard the best replant time is after leaves are dormant or gone, but before ground freezes. My brother, when a young man, worked for a major utility as a tree trimmer, later going into the nursery business. He offered me 4 maples from his yard when he moved. It was mid December. He arrived with what looked like 4 phone poles, each about 4 inches in diameter, strapped to the roof of his truck. Branches trimmed way back, bare roots also trimmed way back. I was skeptical, but we planted them in the ground. When we moved away several years later, those maples were a good 12 inches in diameter and the best darned specimens you'd ever want. Go figure.....

·
Premium Member
9,537 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice guys. They are in the ground, trimmed and watered in. The ground was pretty moist after several rainy days this week. I think I matched the move pretty much with the advice here as they were losing their leaves as I dug them up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts