My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Cushman 60" Frontiline earlier the spring real cheep. I don't know much about this machine. It's around an '86. Runs great clean cut - nice. Two weeks ago I'm out mowing and the machine doesn't want to go into reverse after about 50 minutes of use. I didn't want to take any chances so I stop running her, check the fluid - which was right up and put her away. Came back to the machine couple day's later and same thing, no reverse. Also notice its making a slight whinny noise.

Anyone have an idea on where I should start. Does anyone know anything about this machine. Can't seem to find anything on the sight. Manuals anyone? Can I find a new/used pump for this thing anywhere?

I have several car engines and tranny rebuilds under my belt so I'm up to the task.

This is a great ride, I'd hate to give up on it without a fight.

Any help would be much appreciated!!!!

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
Re: Transmission troulbes

I would check the linkages to make sure the reverse linkage is actually going back and if it is, might just be the reversing valve stuck. Sorry I really don't know anything about you machine, just a general idea of where I would start looking. :trink40:

·
22,344 Posts
Re: Transmission troulbes

:MTF_wel2: , JSD69Vette!!

If you're looking for a pump, obviously the tranny's a hydro. What style and what make? A description or pictures of the primary components might help.

SonnyT has the right starting point. Linkages first before you go looking for a new pump. If the linkage is bad, a new pump will have the same problem.

Hydros are pretty simple devices compared to an automotive automatic transmission. If it goes in forward, it should also go in reverse, so chances are high that it is a mechanical rather than a hydraulic problem.

After the linkages, check out the motor end of the system, including the drive wheels and any gear boxes in between.

While you're checking things out, look for test ports on the pump and/or motor(s). They usually have NPT 1/4" pipe plugs in them, either hex head or allen wrench socket head.

The actuating lever on the hydro pump swings the swash plate that controls direction and speed. Make sure the lever is turning the shaft in both directions and look at the opposite side of the pump. There may be a similar shaft there which should turn on harmony with the first shaft. If there is and it doesn't, the mechanical fault is probably inside the case.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts