My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive got a c 85 that i love. i finally got around to putting the deck on it today and aout halfway through my yard, the 8 speed kicked itself out of high range. it has never done this before but i didnt think anything about it. then it did it again, i put it in low and it was good but later it started popping out of low when i was holding the clutch or going down hill. now it is stuck in high range and wont come out. is this a common problem or something more. i have never worked on a tranny before and was wondering if anyone could help me.

·
Oldbie
1,605 Posts
All I know is one of mine is stuck in hi range also.
It comes from shifting while the tractor is still in motion.
And is a big No No. I do not know why your tranny would
suddenly start popping out of gear like that. Perhaps it is
related.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
is there anything that can be done or does the tranny need to be taken apart.

·
Oldbie
1,605 Posts
I know that it was described to me by a fellow that had a similar
situation. Yes...the tranny has to be split and there is a plate in there
that in this other fellows situation had got bent trying to shift while
the tractor was in motion. I do not recall enough of the story to be
specific. Better to do a search for related topics until you find it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well i tore it apart and that is exactly what happened only worse. the high low plate broke off of the arm and one needle bearing blew apart. i am going to try and find a place around here to have it fixed otherwise i will buy a new axle.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
does anyone have or know where i can find a diagram for this tranny so i can figure out which parts i need.

·
Oldbie
1,605 Posts
Plug your tractor numbers into partstree.com I believe that will get
you your tranny number if you do not already have it.
I believe there should be a drawing of the tranny there too with a
parts list.
But I will tell ya... Might be just as easy to pick up another 8speed
tranny for $50

·
Just Have a Little Faith!
9,271 Posts
Some of the bearings aren't available any more. And it's going to cost maybe $75-$100 to rebuild. Plus the cost of what you broke.

You can find a manual on Wheelhorse.org.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks. i am goign to probally call some places on monday to see about having it done or else i am just going to get another rearend and keep this one for parts

·
from South Jersey
601 Posts
You can download a transmission manual for your C-85 from Toro as well as an operators manual. Go to: https://lookup3.toro.com/request/request.cfm
Enter model # 11-08K801 and put "none" for serial number. Your tractor has model # 103916 transmission.

·
Vet-Wrencher
253 Posts
You know even though a bearing may not be available from a dealer anymore, i guarntee there available from a bearings supply house. A place like motion industries or a bearings headquarters. Thats also the place to get obsolete seals. Just becouse it's obsolete to a dealer doesnt mean it's obsolete from society. Bearings and seals of all diferent kinds and sizes are still out there and still being supplyed. Even though it wont be sold by name brand of the tractor.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks you everybody. those manuals will help.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts