My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 1969 forf 2000 3 cyl gas with ,2 shifter levers left one 1 tru 5 and the right one hi and low. the problem is that when shifting ,if i dont shift just right it seems to get lost in most of the time going to reverse. i pulled the trans shift cover and the gears look good, and by slowly shifting the trans seems to work then all of a suden it cant shift any where.any thuoghts would be appr. thanks jim

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
im needing to edit my post . what it should have stated is the tractor has 4 speeds not 5speeds thanks again jim

·
Premium Member
9,669 Posts
Sounds more a clutch problem rather than a transmission problem.
1. Check the transmission fluid level.
2. Check Clutch Springs and pullies.

·
Premium Member
8,093 Posts
Yours is known as an 8 speed transmission. Are you coming to a complete stop when trying to shift between gears? Those transmissions are not designed to be shifted while the tractor is moving.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i didnt know that it was nessisary to come to a complet stop to shift gears ,thanks for the that info. it seems as though the left hand shifter lever is stuck between positions , and if i just loosen the bolts on the shifting cover a little ,the trans will shift ,then i tighten the bolts down and away i go for a while ,i have looked at every thing but the same thing happens some the durimg the day thanks for your thoughts jim ps is it possible for the detent s not holding the gears in there place untill the shifting lever engages them

·
Premium Member
8,093 Posts
Getting stuck between gears, and loosening the cover allows you to jiggle it into gear sounds like worn parts in the shifting mechanism,. like forks or plates.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts