My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a LTX1050KW with the tuff torq K46 transmission, which is easier on the tranny a 20" tire or a 18" tire?

thanks

·
22,343 Posts
:MTF_wel2: , racing78!!

It's academic. If it came with 20" tires, that's what it's geared for.

That said, the 18" tires will be a bit easier due to the final drive speed. It will have a lower top speed.

·
blinged out
1,346 Posts
smaller the tire, easier for the trans. to turn! increasing torque applied to the ground! sacrificing traction and top speed!
Under full load conditions it makes no difference on tire size to the trans./ the trans is at max torque output!
I'm no expert on hydro trans but I assume there's a bypass pressure relief valve, once that is being opened all else is a mute point!
maybe one of the hydrostatic guru's can enlighten us both!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the info, I ask because my dealer installed 18" atv tires for better traction. The downside is that I have lost ground clearance and was even considering going to the Carlisle HD Field Trax tire to get back closer to the 20" original diameter.

·
22,343 Posts
smaller the tire, easier for the trans. to turn! increasing torque applied to the ground! sacrificing traction and top speed!
Under full load conditions it makes no difference on tire size to the trans./ the trans is at max torque output!
I'm no expert on hydro trans but I assume there's a bypass pressure relief valve, once that is being opened all else is a mute point!
maybe one of the hydrostatic guru's can enlighten us both!
In almost every full power situation, the tires will break traction before any relief valve has a chance to pop. At part throttle, it is possible to overpressure a hydro and most of them will just growl at you until you back off or jack up the throttle.

The manufacturers know this and only a few hydro models have specific overpressure protection. I know that one hydro in particular is actually designed and rated for substantially more pressure than could normally be sustained in any GT. Unlike several other hydros, it actually does have relief valves.

Hint: It isnt the TT K46. That hydro is only capable of handling about 3 hp to the rear wheels.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts