My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New problem... '88 WH 312-8

I've noticed every time I mow my lawn, after I park my tractor in the garage I have a small oil leak under the transmission/rear-end. The dropping has only been the size of a 50-cent piece or smaller. Some days she doesn't even have an accident.

I took a quick look at it tonight and it appears to be leaking on the left side of the transmission (if you are looking from the rear). I can't tell if it is leaking around the Brake Shaft seal (the brake drum is coated) or if it leaking from the main seal.

I'm mechanically inclined therefore I don't mind getting my hands dirty. But what is involved in correcting either one of these problems? I can live with a stubborn leak for the time being (until mowing season ends), making sure to check the gear oil level from time to time. By the way, what oil weight would you recommend for the transmission?

Everything seems to be working fine. Every once in a while I have to jiggle the brake/clutch pedals and let her drift an inch or two in order for her to go into gear. But she has never failed to go.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've got a 310-8 doing the same thing. The only thing on the left side is the brake drum shaft seal. That's where mine is leaking. It's a 3/4 inch shaft in a 1 inch bore. The hard part is getting the old seal out without tearing down (splitting) the case or damaging the shaft seal surface. I had another rearend in stock, so I swapped it out this passed Sunday afternoon. Mine is going out to the front yard this weekend with a "FOR SALE" sign on it. I need to thin the herd. Too many Horses!

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
the book calles for 90-140 tranny oil
if one uses a fine pick they can get the seal out with out any problems

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the book calles for 90-140 tranny oil
if one uses a fine pick they can get the seal out with out any problems
Is it a fairly easy procedure?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I just replaced that seal a month or so ago.
You'll spend more time cleaning up the oil soaked mess on the brake drum and brake band than it takes to replace the actual seal. I used an ice pick to pull out the old one.
I don't recall the part number right off but any Toro dealer can get it for you. Cost about three or four bucks, in fact the shipping was more than the seal.
Good Luck,
Lee

I'm new around this forum, but have been reading your comments for awhile, a good bunch of guys.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts