My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
My 1986 316 has just over 1000 hours on the meter. I think alot of you saw the pics of it that I posted recently. Well,maybe looks aren't everything.:)
When I bought it,I didn't do anything with it and went right into teardown mode. I've just now started to use it.
Anyway,the transmission is losing power after it gets to operating temp. I have a few slopes,I wouldn't call them hills. It moves but it won't pick up speed like being on level ground. I really don't know how the tranny in these things is supposed to act as far as responsiveness. I'm thinking it's not all that great.When it is on level ground and you quickly move the shifter full forward,it doesn't jerk forward,but more of a "delayed reaction" for lack of a better term. When it gets to like maybe 3 mph,it acts like the gas pedal was put to the floor and takes off.
When I changed everything,I put JD Low-Vis fluid in. I didn't do anything to the transmission other than a couple seals, hoses and filter.
Should I maybe try using something else for fluid?
I've read threads containing info on all sorts of fluid types that guys have tried. I don't want to decide on my own,but rather get some first hand advice from the experts here.:fing32:
Thanks
Greg

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
Greg, just a couple things here, not being familiar with the 316 and what brand tranny it has, first I'd check the belt out for being worn, but from all indications from you saying "the transmission is losing power after it gets to operating temp ", sounds to me like it at the very least needs a transmission oil change. The slowing down when the fluid gets hot was the indicator for me on my K46 tranny, but alas even the fluid change did not cure it and ended up replacing a couple parts which did. JD puts a tag on the right rear axle of their machines with the transmission type and serial number, unless you know already, but yea, you need to make sure you get the right replacement fluid. If it is a Tuff Torq transmission, there is a sticky on the proper fluid type in the JD stickies section.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Did you do an air purge on the tranny after changing the fluid? This could be your problem. Do a search on this board or if you have the service manual the procedure is in there.

·
Super Moderator
32,751 Posts
Hey guys,
My 1986 316 has just over 1000 hours on the meter. I think alot of you saw the pics of it that I posted recently. Well,maybe looks aren't everything.:)
When I bought it,I didn't do anything with it and went right into teardown mode. I've just now started to use it.
Anyway,the transmission is losing power after it gets to operating temp. I have a few slopes,I wouldn't call them hills. It moves but it won't pick up speed like being on level ground. I really don't know how the tranny in these things is supposed to act as far as responsiveness. I'm thinking it's not all that great.When it is on level ground and you quickly move the shifter full forward,it doesn't jerk forward,but more of a "delayed reaction" for lack of a better term. When it gets to like maybe 3 mph,it acts like the gas pedal was put to the floor and takes off.
When I changed everything,I put JD Low-Vis fluid in. I didn't do anything to the transmission other than a couple seals, hoses and filter.
Should I maybe try using something else for fluid?
I've read threads containing info on all sorts of fluid types that guys have tried. I don't want to decide on my own,but rather get some first hand advice from the experts here.:fing32:
Thanks
Greg
glc, not that this will help you but those are the same symptoms of the tranny that came with my tractor. I parted out a 318 last year and still had the tranny from it so this summer I swapped them out and that solved the problem for me. There was a post on here not too long ago where someone rebuilt their HST and it was excellent. If I run across or remember who it was I'll PM you the thread.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just an update guys
There wasn't anything wrong with the transmission after all!:fing32: The hydro control linkage is just plain shot. I could move the lever almost an inch before the swashplate started to move. The bushing in the rear eyebolt is almost completely worn away! Got some new parts ordered and we'll be GTG.:)

Greg

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts