My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a 2008 gt2542 that I want to change the transmission fluid in. I use it to cut grass in the summer and plow snow in the winter. I was reading some old posts on here and found that some of you guys are using an alternative to the cc drive system fluid plus. what do you reccomend that I use as an alternative, as the cc fluid is really expensive. Also how are your tractors holding up using the other types of fluid. Thanks for any information you guys can offer

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Wojo, I've put ~3yrs and close to 100hrs on my 2005 model year 2544 w/ 6qts of Shell Rotella-T 15w40 in the trans. and a CarQuest (Wix) cross-ref'd trans filter. You can get'em at Napa too. It's been flawless. Using yours in the winter, I'd use Rotella-T 5w40 since it's got awesome cold flow properties. Walmart is a good source for those oils. The Wix filter is as much if not more than a dealer trans filter, so that's your call.

Joel

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply. I found the Rotella T 5W-40 at walmart and at napa found a napa gold filter thats made by wix. So I'll be good to go, thanks again for the help.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
You'll be good to go wojo! The only things I've read of that these transaxles are finicky about is the filter (I've not personally witnessed it). I've heard of cases where an engine oil filter was used as opposed to a hydraulic filter and the hydro wouldn't work with it. Switch back to a direct cross refed hydraulic spin-on filter or a dealer one and it was good to go.

Joel

·
Registered
18 Posts
I mow commercially with a cub 3206 hydro. would the 5w40 be a good choice for summer and winter or should I run the 15w40 in hot weather? I put in well over 100 hrs in snow blowing and mowing is much more so changing for the season isn't a big deal for me.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I mow commerically with a gt2180 I use 15w-50 mobile one syn with john deere hydro filter.make sure when looking at the filter that there is no rubber ring under the holes at the top of your filter.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts