My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The fins broke off the transmission fan on my Craftsman YT3000 tractor model 917288515 when the drive belt slipped off the pulley. I replaced the drive belt being careful to route it per the diagram. I replaced the transmission fan, reusing the slip ring that held the fan blade on. When I started the tractor it ran okay but after about 10 minutes it made a grinding noise and the fins were broken off the new fan. I rechecked the drive belt and replaced the fan blade again using a new slip ring this time. The same thing happened after driving about 10 minutes.

I cannot tell if the fan blade is hitting the metal bar in front and above it, or hitting the bottom of the battery box. The drive belt did not come off the pulley the last two times the fan broke.

Any ideas on what I need to check, adjust or replace? Thanks for your help

·
Premium Member
6,742 Posts
Perhaps take off the belt, and spin the pulley by hand to see what it hits? See if the shaft moves in/out at all?

And examine the area on the tractor to see where the fans were hitting?

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Perhaps take off the belt, and spin the pulley by hand to see what it hits? See if the shaft moves in/out at all?

And examine the area on the tractor to see where the fans were hitting?
dave_r made a good point. The fan most likely is pulling air toward the transmission which means the fan will want to pull away from the transmission. So most likely it is hitting something above. The problem may have to do with when you sit on the seat, it’s pushing something down toward the fan.

·
Premium Member
6,742 Posts
And as an outside the box idea, I have a zero turn where some of the mounts for the rear hydro's broke, and when I sat on it, the remaining mounting points would flex so the fans on the hydros would rub on the frame. Perhaps you might check if something like that is happening.

·
Registered
5,412 Posts
If you removed the transmission to do the replacement, it may be that it was re-installed a bit different. If the transmission mounting bolts are loose, it could rock back and forth when torque is applied. Not that there is any reason to suspect it, but could the fan be upside down? If it has a hub that is offset in either direction, the blades would be offset also, making their clearance questionable. You seem to have a clearance problem as that is the only thing that would destroy the blades so quickly.
Using a camera, or a phone with same, and taking a picture of the installation may shed light on what is causing the damage. I think taking some pictures stuffing the phone/cam up under the seat, and attempting to show clearance might be a way to determine fit problems.
I figure you did replace with the exact same fan, right?
tom

Reactions: MARK (LI)

·
Money Pit
893 Posts
Kinda like Tom said. These tractors have issues with transmission mounts. Front mount missing bolts, broken bolts, cracked mount, cracked frame, rear axle mount cracked frame. This will take out the fan every time.

·
Super Moderator
11,157 Posts
Had the slip ring that you replaced held?..or had it become dislodged?....You sure you got the right belt...and right fan?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts