My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a LA110 with the Tuff Torq T40. I have been noticing that its been slowing down more and more on the hills. Finally its to the point that it will not go up any hills and will not acheive full speed. I serviced it at the beginning of the season with 5w50 synthetic like recommended. When it was stuck on a hill, I looked under the fenders while pressing the pedal down and it doesnt appear that the belt is slipping any, although the drive belt is still original, the pulley is spinning good. I have read that these are not the most robust units. This one has 206 hours on it. It seems to get worse after it gets hot. Am I dealing with a failed unit or is there any hope for it. Also is another unit that will fit this tractor and is there a good place to buy another t40. I would hate to throw the tractor away, its in great shape other than that.

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,970 Posts
I have a LA110 with the Tuff Torq T40. I have been noticing that its been slowing down more and more on the hills. Finally its to the point that it will not go up any hills and will not acheive full speed. I serviced it at the beginning of the season with 5w50 synthetic like recommended. When it was stuck on a hill, I looked under the fenders while pressing the pedal down and it doesnt appear that the belt is slipping any, although the drive belt is still original, the pulley is spinning good. I have read that these are not the most robust units. This one has 206 hours on it. It seems to get worse after it gets hot. Am I dealing with a failed unit or is there any hope for it. Also is another unit that will fit this tractor and is there a good place to buy another t40. I would hate to throw the tractor away, its in great shape other than that.
You don’t need to replace the all unit, from what you describe it a common situation.

Follow this thread Here for les then few hundred you will "resuscitate" your t40. :goodl:

·
Master Service Technician
748 Posts
Yuppers.... Tranny is getting tired! Time to replace the center block assy!

PS...check with your Deere dealer for parts pricing....Tuff Torq has very high retail rates!

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,970 Posts
Yuppers.... Tranny is getting tired! Time to replace the center block assy!

PS...check with your Deere dealer for parts pricing....Tuff Torq has very high retail rates!

Last time I check, Tuff Torq was cheaper for parts.:confused:

After Jim W successful repair I received demand for the parts required to make the K46xx young again.

Basically they are the parts content in the repair kit available at Tuff Torq, minus “THE CENTER CASE PUMP” at $137.38.

These parts are for 234 transaxles model: T40A, K46xx, K57 (A, K) and K58 (A’B’H)

1). 168T2025090 CYLINDER BLOCK KIT (PUMP) ....$58.13
1). 168T2025100 CYLINDER BLOCK KIT (MOTOR) .$71.00
1). 168T2025220 FILTER 105 ........................................$10.21
1). A646099500 SEALANT ............................................$13.23
Here are the transaxle serial numbers.

·
Master Service Technician
748 Posts
I just looked the numbers up on our John Deere System. By the prices of the individual components from John Deere it is obvious they want you to buy the whole unit...so in this case it is a better deal to go to tuff torq! FWIW...on the Simplicity side of things...its cheaper to buy from Simplicity...Guess u just have to be an educated shopper!

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
Will these parts fit in all t40 tranaxles? Thanks for the help. Is there anything else I should replace while Im in there?

You should'nt need to replace anything else if you decide to do this. The parts stladrill gave you are what is needed and once replaced you've got practically a new transmission. You can go to the TuffTorq website and create an account to look at the diagrams and order the needed parts. It appears from what I looked at on your T40 transaxle there, the parts are the same as in the K46. Again if you decide to do this fix, I urge you to read up on my thread about it first from the link stladrill gave you :).

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Consider replacing your failed K46/T40/K58 transaxle with the proven and robust K66 or K72. Not only will you have virtually double the torque, but a fully serviceable, well built transaxle.
See: www.rjrtractor.com

1 - 10 of 10 Posts