My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1996 325 17hp 54 deck 1130 hours.
Trying to fix a leak thinking there might be a crack in the pan l cannot seem to get it to break free.
Removed 20 screws and 4 nuts the filter lines still won’t drop, the front is still hanging on the rear is free. Not sure how much more l can pry it with screwdriver and rubber mallet. Any suggestions?
Thanks

·
Registered
827 Posts
Uhhhhh that transaxle the case splits in half. It doesn't have a pan...it sounds like you're going to end up with a pile of parts on the floor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
Trent has it correct. The K71A is a two piece case it it is the original trans on this tractor. The lower half is part of the case, not just a pan. In some cases, it is the lower half of bearing seats and such so care must be given when splitting the case. Here is a diagram of the lower case. If you have not already removed it to work with it on the bench, I'd highly recommend doing so to prevent busting any parts off that will require replacement.
Here is the URL link to this trans at Tuff Torq in case you want to look at the whole thing or see if parts are available.
HTTP://tufftorq.ordertree.com/catalog/partslist/view/group_id/426521/?assembly=Parts&assembly_id=2224

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys. The axel is still on the tractor. I would just bolt it back together but Iam concerned with debris in the lower case now, plus it needs to be sealed.
Your suggestion is to pull the axel flip it over?

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
If you already have it partly disassembled on the tractor, I think I'd still remove the entire transaxle and work on it on the bench. It seems like a lot of work but I think having it where you can see it and get it cleaned up and reassembled and resealed properly will be worth the extra effort.

If all you had was a leak, cleaning up and resealing the case along with new oil should be a good service. Although I'd have a good look at the various shaft and axle seals too while you're at it.

You might also check on YouTube to see if there is any video on reassembly of this unit.

·
Registered
827 Posts
I believe there is a shaft coming out of the top of that trans which is known to leak at the shaft seal. Only way to fix is to disassemble. Also could be coming out the vent if the leak seemed to start on top of the case

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts