My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the thing apart gear box that is.The shifting mechanism was all rusted,got that cleand up and free.My question is I found 2 small bearings in the grease of the pan,Where do they go? If you got some diagrms would be great.Thank you for the help.I'm on dial up so I don't have all day to look for a manual for this.LOL Thanks again.:banghead3 sorry you may need this info craftsman LT1000 model#917.272670

·
4K Poster!!!
4,504 Posts
Roller bearings? Ball bearings? Might be detent balls...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Roller bearings? Ball bearings? Might be detent balls...
Names?Call them what ya want, where do they go?????????I see no marks or channels where they where.And there is only 2..ANYONE AT ALL!:thanku:

·
4K Poster!!!
4,504 Posts
Names and/or pictures would help us identify them...and where they might go.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your help man,heres what I did.Searching on transaxle problems on here I found the detent balls you where talking about.I freed the shift keys and ways put the case back together.Then took the little cover for the springs and detent balls,first then the spring put the cover back on.Through the whole thing back together and now the thing shifts awsome where before it didn't move.Now how much should I charge this guy?I was thinkin $100,I also changed the oil.:trink39:

·
4K Poster!!!
4,504 Posts
When I do charge for my work, I ask 1/2 of the going shop rate, and fudge it down a bit, since I am not as fast as a regular pro would be. So, maybe 1/3 of the going hourly rate. If you like the guy. If not, you still did him a favor, charge more.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks again man.It really helps knowing the names of these parts in helping to explain and search for your problems.You sound like we're on the same page as of the cost of repair.He's a good guy and always pays so I charged him $75.He said, cool,pay ya Friday.I thought,yeah hah:praying:.But I know where he works.LOL Some times if I don't know the guy I judge by what he's driveing.If its a new shiny car or truck they get the high bid.LOLSee ya round the site I gots lots more stuff to fix.:fing32:

·
4K Poster!!!
4,504 Posts
You're welcome.

If there is a fee involved, it's COD only.
I'm not interested in chasing someone around to get paid. My time is valuable to me.
It's just a fact of life. When I was doing maintenance in a machine shop, we had to have a "maintenance request form" to authorized repair work. I got tired of fixing the machinery and then having to chase down a team leader to get the paperwork. Sometimes it took several times, and sometimes I never got the paperwork. And, these are supposed to be responsible adults. Therefore, I would not even start a repair until the paperwork was in my hand. Some didn't like it, but they were the ones who kept stiffing me, anyway. The good guys understood and went along just fine. They had to do the paperwork anyway, so it's no extra trouble to do it now, instead of later. There were a select few whose "credit" was good - I could trust them to get me the paperwork soon, so I would work on their equipment without waiting for the paper request. A little cooperation goes a long way.
Anyway, in the business world, it's COD.

I have a deal with the bank - they don't fix machinery, and I don't give credit or loans.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah,I hear ya COD does keep us honest.I still like to trust some people from time to time.I aquired a J.D.160 on a no pay repair.It's under restoration now.The paint was comeing off in sheets.Runs great.I was toying with the idea to paint the green parts yellow and the yellow,green.But it wont match the yard cart I have for it.I've painted the frame with spray on bedliner,looks good.I'll show some pics in the near future.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This thread is done,he paid up today.Now I can buy parts for some of my junk.lol:drunkie:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts