My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everybody. i am new to the lawn mowers, as some of you may know from my other threads. i have an old 1979 continental mower that i am taking apart to make a little racer for around my neighborhood. nothing crazy. i striped my mower down to sand blast it. when i was done, i noticed a little fluid coming from the tranny were both sides of the tranny get bolted together. not alot of fluid just a few drops. my question is should i take my tranny apart and get rid of the old fluid, or just leave it alone. if i need to clean it out. what would be the best way of doing that. thanks

·
Registered
107 Posts
IMO, for a little racer I would pull it apart, clean, re-seal and re-lube. In the long run that maybe easier than trying to find replacement parts.

Lets be honest, you're going to have fun with it..... Let the ride last as log as possible.

·
15,000 +posts!
20,415 Posts
If you plan on altering the gearing to make it go faster,I'd use a synthetic lube that is equal to OEM reccomendations (like 90W gear oil,if thats what they say to use originally,or grease,etc)..you'll need all the protection you can get to keep it alive,because that will definately put more stress on it than it was intended for originally..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts