My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A big project for sure, but I love doing things by myself. Paid the frame 300$ Canadian Dollars for my 2nd neighbor down the road. Came with 4 flat tires :tango_face_grin: Only the spare is good. It was sitting in his yard since a couple of years. I removed the old rotted wood.

I have ordered two brand new 3500 lbs axles with electric brakes for it. Will need a lot of sandblast and buffer work. A good paint job too. Some welds here and there but the frame despite the surface rust is in very good shape.

Will post pics when progress on the job will be made if you are curious / interested. :tango_face_wink:

I have a little question though, more for a friend of mine. The GVWR of the trailer is rated at 8900 lbs. Four 15" tires with a max load rating of 2205 lbs, the trailer weighs approx 750 lbs. If the weight is evenly distributed in the trailer, logically we can not load more than the weight of the axles support? Does that mean that if I have 2x 3500 lbs axles, 7000 lbs total on axles minus the weight of the trailer itself, I can't load a total of 8900 lbs? Maximum would be around 6000 lbs?

I don't intend to load that much in that, but my friend is confusing me...

Thanks!:tango_face_smile:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
Some one will read the tag and overload the axles some day. Six lug 4500 lb. axles and 16 inch tires would have been a better match.

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
I'd say don't exceed the weakest link. Change the label if you need to. Around here, we pay higher property tax based on the weight a trailer can carry (which I was shocked to learn).

Why does it have those tall bars on the sides, but no ceiling joists? Is it not an enclosed trailer? Do you have any pics of it in better shape, or a year/make/model?

Anyway, this looks like a great project, definitely looking forward to your progress!

Mike

·
Registered
63 Posts
Correct on the axles - the weight is the max they are recommended for. So if your trailer weights 750lbs and you have 2 3500# axles the max payload/weight you could haul is 6,250lbs.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Some one will read the tag and overload the axles some day. Six lug 4500 lb. axles and 16 inch tires would have been a better match.
With the 4048 KG GVWR here in Quebec I'm on the limit, more than that I need to pass yearly inspections and pay more. I don't intend to load it that much anyways. But it sure would have been a great match :tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Why does it have those tall bars on the sides, but no ceiling joists? Is it not an enclosed trailer? Do you have any pics of it in better shape, or a year/make/model?
A picture is worth a thousand words :tango_face_wink:

It's the day I bought it from my neighbor. The tall bars are removable, they're not welded on the frame.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
With the 4048 KG GVWR here in Quebec I'm on the limit, more than that I need to pass yearly inspections and pay more. I don't intend to load it that much anyways. But it sure would have been a great match :tango_face_wink:
I understand that. Better to have the capability and not need it than to need it and not have it. Years ago when moving from one state to another I cut a 21 foot trailer down and dropped the third axle just to get to 14 feet with no plate and inspection required. I only lost 3000 lbs. in load weight but can no longer haul a car on count of the length.

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
A picture is worth a thousand words :tango_face_wink:

It's the day I bought it from my neighbor. The tall bars are removable, they're not welded on the frame.
Thanks for the pics and clarification. I see that it was a trash hauler. What's your intended use?

Mike

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the pics and clarification. I see that it was a trash hauler. What's your intended use?

Mike
Wood, trash, tree branches, crushed stone, and anything that is to big / heavy for my other trailer (single axle 4' x 8' ). And I'll be able to haul a GT without removing the mower deck if it's larger than 42" :tango_face_grin:

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
Cool. Making any progress?

Mike

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cool. Making any progress?

Mike
Yes, some :tango_face_wink: I'm due to post an update.

The 2 old axles are removed. They were full of water... I'm in the process of buffer work, I won't sandblast it since I'm not equipped for that kind of big work, I'll paint it, and after I'll be doing a rustproof treatment with automotive stuff that don't spill everywhere. The trailer once done will be stored in the barn, so it will not be always in rain/snow. That will help against rust.

I'm replacing all the bolts while I'm in that, they're pretty much done anyway as you can see on the pics. I bought grade 8 bolt with iron lock nuts. Better to have more strength than less.

Tomorrow after work I'll stop by the shop to buy some parts that need to be changed to. What is the name of the triangle part between the 2 leafs springs?

And talking of leaf springs, is it a common setup that the rear axle is having less that the front alxe? I know there is a little more weight on the front one, but just asking :tango_face_wink:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
Thanks for the updates!

New hardware is definitely the way to go for peace of mind.

Wow, those brackets didn't have much meat left, lucky you broke it down and checked. That's a lot of wallowing!

By"triangle," if you're referring to the part in your second pic, I'd call that a hanger. Might try a local truck and trailer supply for more info. Or, a Google search of any info stamped on the piece.

Mike

·
Premium Member
2,933 Posts
I've only seen trailers with both springs the same (including my 12K trailer). I would guess a P.O. just installed something that fit in the spot when the original spring broke or was damaged.

·
Registered
37 Posts
That "Triangular" piece is called an equalizer. It helps keep all 4 tires on the ground for uneven terrain or loading on the deck. I'm sure it has other functions, maybe other names.... But it is effective with regards to axle/spring geometry.

GLuck, Jay

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That "Triangular" piece is called an equalizer. It helps keep all 4 tires on the ground for uneven terrain or loading on the deck. I'm sure it has other functions, maybe other names.... But it is effective with regards to axle/spring geometry.

GLuck, Jay
Thanks! I wasn't sure about the term. I checked online and it's not expensive at all, I'll change them, they have some wear that I don't like.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I bought some new stuff yesterday. The equalizers (CA $9.20 each), galvanized shackles and 5k leaf springs. CA $ 34.00 each so why bother with the old ones, they're no longer aligned and seem tired by years of wear.

The weight rating of the leaf springs is higher than the weight rating of the axles, for 4$ more each I prefer to have 1500 lb more capacity in pair per axle for them, so when I get close to the maximum weight I can load per axle, the leaf springs will have less stress.

It's Chinese stuff but I think it's better to have brand new chinese than something not in best condition. Anyway this trailer will not be on the road every day, it will be for occasional use...

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
More new stuff for the trailer, brand new, custom made fenders. That way I'm sure they will fit right on. 1/8 steel and cheaper than those already made in stores. They're in one piece, no welds except where the cuts were, my friend welded them for better rigidity. Painted them yesterday before rust appears.

Trailer is painted, 3 coats of paint, the underside of the trailer will be treated with automotive anti-rust, so I painted it quickly.

Today I'm going to install the suspension and the axles, I'll post some pics later today or tomorrow for the ones interested ;)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,019 Posts
Wow, looks fantastic!

Mike

1 - 20 of 28 Posts