My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello MTF, it has been a while since I last posted.

I recently took possession of 3 ATVs from my fathers estate. These are Yamaha Warriors which measure 72.4" long by 42.5" wide.

I need a utility trailer that will serve multiple purposes including transporting the 3 Warriors. The trailer won't be dedicated to the ATVS and must serve other usages. Other payloads include a golf cart, garden tractor, firewood, etc. The trailer will get pulled around the property and rural neighborhood by garden tractor and/or warrior for various chores, so weight is a factor.

Thinking aluminum to keep weight down and also to avoid rust. Just need to decide it is worth the extra expense.

Looking for thoughts on configuration, size, brands, features, etc.

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
31,538 Posts
What i recommend is to find the common size trailers around you, take the measurements, and tape them on the drive. Then pull what you plan to carry and put them in the box and see how they all fit. Sometimes the listed sizes real world can be a bit different... be it tire size, handlebar width etc.. Alloy would be great... it is a lot more pricey though. But if cost inst a option that would be best to get the size you want...and still be able to pull it with a golfcart/GT/4wheeler.

·
Registered
5,320 Posts
I'm guessing you don't plan to haul all three ATVs at a time, only one at a time. I've got my eye on a Haulmark ALX HAO54 but the wife wants a trailer with front and side boards to keep loose stuff in. The HAO54 does have stake pockets to fit side boards. I need to keep the weight down as the tow vehicle is a Santa Fe Sport.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I have exactly the trailer you need it weighs less than 600 lb it is an old motorcycle trailer.
I bought / traded for and then I put higher payload tires on it I have had 1400 pounds on it and it towed it just fine. Those warriors probably weigh about 450 lb each.

If you can find a motorcycle or snowmobile trailer they're usually fairly light you can put side racks on them.

·
Registered
728 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm guessing you don't plan to haul all three ATVs at a time, only one at a time.
Actually, I do plan to haul 3 at a time, or at a minimum, 2 at a time. This is the crux of my question. The ATVs are wide enough that it is hard to put 2 side by side facing fore/aft w/o being too wide. The "deck over" design seems to solve this issue, but wondering what the downside is to having a higher deck brings? If trailering 3 is an obstacle, then I might sell one and use the proceeds for the trailer.

I have seen several trailers with side ramps to load machines laterally. Hoping that someone here can comment on the good, bad, and ugly of these designs as well as how the load would be configured with ramps on the side and the rear? Would one machine face sideways and one machine face fore/aft?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Premium Member
3,494 Posts
Depending on the unit, and shape/length of the ramps, things hanging down (such as, say, a mowing deck) can catch on the edge of the deck, where the ramps mount.

When I bought a 12' utility trailer, I got it with an 5' ramp (standard length is 4'), and I still had to remember to lift the mower deck of my zero-turn as it went on the trailer. And now that I've upgraded to an 18' car hauler, where the deck height is a little higher (IIRC 4" higher), I calculated it out, and made 6' ramps, so they would have the same angle as before.

For a deck-over trailer, that exacerbates the issue, as the deck is that much higher. I've also got a cab&chassis truck (probably just a little higher than a deckover), and for that, 8' ramps work for equipment I can push on, but I need to use 9' curved ramps to get the zero turn on (otherwise it can't get over the ramp/truck bed transition.

Oops, this is an answer to "What is the concern with pulling a "deck over" trailer", not ""What is the concern with pulling a "deck over" trailer with a GT or ATV"

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oops, this is an answer to "What is the concern with pulling a "deck over" trailer", not ""What is the concern with pulling a "deck over" trailer with a GT or ATV"
Still good info though! Thanks.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
update: I ended up purchasing this Karavan 6x12 Trailer
when it as on sale for $200 off. The sides fold down so it is very flexible. It also has nearly zero tongue weight when empty, so it works well for small jobs around the house (just need to keep it attached to a vehicle hitch before loading).

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
5,719 Posts
I recently sold a very old steel frame 4'x8' (it was closer to 52"x98") utility trailer and replaced it with a 63"x120" Aluma trailer. I use it weekly for one task or another behind truck, tractor, and ATV. First legit task was hay rides for the kids at Church.

I loaded my ATV on bi-fold ramp with ease,

then hauled the portable hayride to the Church, where I unloaded, and hitched the ATV for an evening of rides:

The Aluminum sides have not come in yet, so I whacked together a couple removable stake sides for this critical mission.

This trailer is about 425 lbs empty. Makes it easy to move around even by hand. I have to add my motorcycle hauling chocks to the deck yet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts