My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Spent a little time on this 816 today. Got the engine cooling fins cleaned out and degreased as best as possible. Changed the oil, and work on getting the frayed stator lead soldered. It was somewhat complicated, but we'll see how it holds. It's the Wico system, but I have two other stators to try just in case. I may try rewinding one very soon, seems to be a common task on the motorcycle forums. Had hoped to run it a little again, but ran out of time and daylight.

Rick

Attachments

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I worked on the tractor today. Rewired it completely, basically how the later models were with the regulator behind the dash. I also tried out an electric fuel pump, a first for me on a tractor that didn't come with one originally. It's an Autobest 42S, about $25 on Amazon. A little bigger than the Facet models, but half the price. I mounted it just between the fwd/rev shifter and the battery tray. Surprisingly enough, it worked out great, doesn't over power the 40 year old float/needle at all. Working PSI is about 1.5 - 2.5 psi. All it required was grounding, and wiring the positive wire to the coil wire. It's definitely a viable solution to replace a fuel pump with an $80 rebuild kit. And instant priming is a nice feature. When the pump finally beats the dust on my 8173-KT, it'll be getting an electric one.

I finally got to take it for a drive today, here's a short video.

http://youtu.be/VmtWq3LUhCw

....and then right after I stopped the video, the tractor cut off from a dead battery. So something isn't charging the battery, though I didn't have time to diagnose it. That will have to wait til next time. Otherwise it ran very nicely, albeit with choke, but still.

Rick

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Looks like I may have dodged a bullet with the stator. I oHm'd it out today, which came out good, then tried a known good voltage rectifier on a whim and what do you know, it started charging properly. Now I just need to order another one and this thing might able to be put into snow plow service for the winter. :)

Rick

·
Gravely 408 Authority
1,809 Posts
Excellent news, Rick. Glad to have the top on the fuel pump. I may yet need nod for the Onan.

·
Inveterate Putterer
2,958 Posts
Looks like I may have dodged a bullet with the stator. I oHm'd it out today, which came out good, then tried a known good voltage rectifier on a whim and what do you know, it started charging properly. Now I just need to order another one and this thing might able to be put into snow plow service for the winter. :)

Rick

I hope I can duplicate your good fortune, Rick. Tomorrow I am going to try getting the 816S charging.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Excellent news, Rick. Glad to have the top on the fuel pump. I may yet need nod for the Onan.
Thanks! Are you referring to the 8162-T? If so, nice thing about those is they use a vacuum pump. If the pump mounted on the carb every goes out then just gut the internals of the pump and buy a common Briggs vac pump instead. They work just as well. I have one on a B43 and Steven has one on his 818-T, (B48).

I hope I can duplicate your good fortune, Rick. Tomorrow I am going to try getting the 816S charging.
<Sends good karma Mikey's way> You'll get it, no doubts there! Good luck.

Rick

1,153 Posts
Good work Rick. I bought a electric fuel pump for one of Onan NB's on my 430. It's a Mr. Gasket 42s micro electric fuel pump. It was like $45 I bet your auto zone one is the same part. I am not going to use it though. I bought some parts for less than $20 to convert it to a Briggs vacuum pump. Check out this guys video. He is funny and wacky but has lots of good videos ...

http://youtu.be/aqZGWRJ66b4

·
Gravely1964
3,776 Posts
Good work Rick. I bought a electric fuel pump for one of Onan NB's on my 430. It's a Mr. Gasket 42s micro electric fuel pump. It was like $45 I bet your auto zone one is the same part. I am not going to use it though. I bought some parts for less than $20 to convert it to a Briggs vacuum pump. Check out this guys video. He is funny and wacky but has lots of good videos ...

http://youtu.be/aqZGWRJ66b4
Reminds me of are shop at work :sidelaugh :sidelaugh

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
OEM Mufflers for the CCKA are a bit of a problem. The silly things last so long that no one ever made a replacement. One fellow here made a new muffler for his 816. You will have to search the archives for construction details.

·
Super Moderator
10,945 Posts
Good going on the rewiring, and charging situation Rick. And +1 on the Mr. Gasket electric fuel pump. I installed one on my old Onan CCK genset. It works great. It's the low pressure model (I believe it's @3-4 lbs). Now I don't have to choke the CCK when cold starting either.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Thanks all! Tidyied up the wiring today, adding wire loom in the right places, securing it all in place. Added a proper fuel tank so it could come off the bottle. Adjusted and greased the fwd clutch, needs a new bearing but works a lot better now none the less. Put the rear hitch back on and actually got to use it for the first time moving some firewood today. Ran pretty well, still needs carb work, I have to feather the choke at times to run. May try swapping a DD carb on to it if I find one for the right price. ;)

Rick

Attachments

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I feel like this is probably my first lengthy post in about the last two months. Work was beyond busy in May/June, along with the personal life, so now I'm finally getting a chance to get caught up on some projects.

I tackled the "8" of play" sector steering in the 816. I took the box from my 72', which was less worn, and then JBWelded a few aluminum strips to keep the gear from moving up and down. Also added a zerk to the box, along with some grease-able tie rod ends. All of that took my play down to about an 1". The rest is in the king pins and axle bushing.

ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1436144103.058995.jpg

I needed to replace the front tires since the ones on it now would just plow whenever you made a turn. I cleaned an extra seat of wheel I had, mounted new Carlisle Turf Savers, and then painted them in Duplicolor Exact Match Stone White. It's a slight off white, though not as much as Canvas White. I was going to use Canvas White but it can't be found in any of the local stores. Overall I think the Stone White was a fairly good match. It definitely made it all look and function a lot better than what was on it before. One thing I found interesting was that the left hand side had a spindle with a longer shaft, so the bearing cap could only be seated half way on. The right side was fine though.

Before

ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1436144151.465310.jpg ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1436144175.755127.jpg

After

ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1436144195.511262.jpg

Overall this has become one of my favorite tractors. The CCKA just purrs and runs fantastic. I'm looking forward to tearing into my 72' LSD keyed clutch 816 later in the year. Although I may literally be tearing into it since I'm pretty sure the PTO clutch is gone. :(

Rick

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Looking good Rick, at least yours is red and white. Mine is still gravely red and rust red. Lols.
I know what you mean about the 816 being the favorite, mine is too.

·
Inveterate Putterer
2,958 Posts
Rick, is that the tractor you had at Chambersburg? Looking really good.

I know exactly what you mean about that tire tread pattern. I have three perfectly service sets of them, one coming from my 812. They're terrible! I can't count the times I steered left or right and they just continued in whatever direction they were going. Compound that on the vague sector steering and direction control was, at best, a mere suggestion of intent!

:sidelaugh

About the wheels: you painted them after mounting the tires or before?

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
I know exactly what you mean about that tire tread pattern. I have three perfectly service sets of them, one coming from my 812. They're terrible! I can't count the times I steered left or right and they just continued in whatever direction they were going. Compound that on the vague sector steering and direction control was, at best, a mere suggestion of intent!

:sidelaugh
Now THAT is one of the funniest statements I've seen in a while!

·
Registered
2,545 Posts
I feel like this is probably my first lengthy post in about the last two months. Work was beyond busy in May/June, along with the personal life, so now I'm finally getting a chance to get caught up on some projects.
I hear you... I probably have 5 different threads hanging out there right now that I haven't touched in months.

I agree about the 816. They're just a fun unit to run even if they do suck down the gas. They certainly were the top-of-the-line unit in the '70s.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Thanks guys!:thanku:

Don, I have no doubts you'll get that 816 to it's proper red and white scheme. Painting is not one of my best skills, so I cheat and try to find tractors with good original paint :hide: lol.

Mikey, no the one I had at Chambersburg was my 816T, which actually now needs a coil, so that's another project I need to get to:dunno:. For the rims I debated whether to paint them before or after mounting the tires, and ultimately decided to paint after. I knew that if I did it before I would take all the paint right off the edge of the rim with the tire changer. I just taped both sides of each tire off up to about the tread, and that worked perfectly. A degrease and wash with purple power, some sanding, 2 coats of Rust Reformer, and 3 coats of Stone White was the process. I may try doing the set of rims I took off in a slightly more off white paint and see how that turns out.

Rick

21 - 38 of 38 Posts